Church Unity

Cynthia

This is the week's focus on www.sacredspace.ie - a website run by monks in Ireland. There is a good guided daily meditation as well as a neat one for kids.

"This week sees the start of the Octave of prayer for church unity. It has taken us centuries of misunderstandings to reach the point where Christian churches can dare to do that most obvious thing: pray together. Images like those of John Paul II praying in Canterbury with its Archbishop, or gathering the faith-leaders of the world in Assisi, have taught us so much. When we come close to those of other traditions, and know something of their riches, we can be grateful for the extraordinary fullness of Catholic tradition, and at the same time marvel at the uprightness of Presbyterians, the Friends' passion for peace, the openness of Hindus, the devotion of Moslems. This is the week when we ask our God to warm our hearts to take in all his children. If the chance arises, it is the week when we should pray with strangers, remembering St Peter's words (Acts 10,14): The truth I have come to realise is that God does not have favourites, but that anyone of any nationality who does what is right and fears God is acceptable to him."

I don't hear Acts 10,14 quoted much... I think I'll have to start!!! The heart of progressive faith, to me is contained within that verse.

Any thoughts?

I love sacredspace.com. I haven't visited in a while and will have to rectify that.

Just in case anybody else gets lost by looking up the verse, it's actually Acts 10:34, 35 ;)

"The Message" says:

10:34Peter fairly exploded with his good news: "It's God's own truth, nothing could be plainer: God plays no favorites!

10:35It makes no difference who you are or where you're from - if you want God and are ready to do as he says, the door is open.

Thank you Cynthia,

I think these verses are a reminder that inclusive really means "all". While I truly enjoy all the debate and dialog, the questions and answers, I keep coming back to this message in it's various forms from time to time. For me, it brings with it a feeling of peace.

(and thanks Altheia for the verses ... )

minsocal :D

I think these verses are a reminder that inclusive really means "all".

Inclusive means that spiritual truth -- as belief and as action -- is acknowledged and included wherever it is found, irrespective of culture, religion, or personal preference. It doesn't mean that everything is spiritually true, or should be acknowledged or included. Anything that comes from a spirit other than love, for example, is spiritually false, and should not be included.

This is in the spirit of the original post, but still worth pointing out. :)

Thanks Cynthia for the reminder!