What does "sin against God" mean?

Ashpenaz

Sin is a troubling word for me. I no longer believe in original sin. I don't think sin in any way "damages" God. I don't think God is offended. God is entirely happy within Himself, and there's nothing I can do to add or subtract from His happiness. I don't believe He feels wrath or anger--He feels concern, like father of the Prodigal Son. I think God knows that when I go against His will, I'm unhappy, and He wants me to stop doing what makes me unhappy. But I don't think He considers anything I do as "against" Him. I hurt myself, not Him. I just don't get the phrase "sin against God." Have other people had trouble with this phrase? How have you resolved it?

11 hours ago, Ashpenaz said:

Sin is a troubling word for me. I no longer believe in original sin. I don't think sin in any way "damages" God. I don't think God is offended. God is entirely happy within Himself, and there's nothing I can do to add or subtract from His happiness. I don't believe He feels wrath or anger--He feels concern, like father of the Prodigal Son. I think God knows that when I go against His will, I'm unhappy, and He wants me to stop doing what makes me unhappy. But I don't think He considers anything I do as "against" Him. I hurt myself, not Him. I just don't get the phrase "sin against God." Have other people had trouble with this phrase? How have you resolved it?

I'm probably not much help Ashpenaz, but I resolve it myself by understanding that an ancient people, who didn't have a better udnerstanding of the world, came to the conclusion that a God or Gods was working behind the scenes, and as a way of explaining why life wasn't all beer and skittles, came up with a theology about being on the wrong side of said God.

From a biblical perspective, I think the various authors over the various centuries have wrestled with this idea of sin themselves and it ranges from 'sin' being something to be saved from by a human sacrifice to something we can master ourselves (Gen 4).  I think 'sin' is perhaps just a word to describe being out of sorts with what makes our lives feel worthwhile.