Merry Christmas And Happy Holidays

October's Autumn

I've read some conversations where people want to boycott a company because they are "politically incorrect" enough to say "Merry Christmas" and I've read other conversations where Christians want to boycott a company because they say "Happy Holidays."

People just want to fight. I find myself saying both. If people want to be offended, that's their problem.

I do agree that political correctness is out of control. I can't remember if it's Lowes or Home Depot that is selling "Holiday Trees." Good grief.

I've read some conversations where people want to boycott a company because they are "politically incorrect" enough to say "Merry Christmas" and I've read other conversations where Christians want to boycott a company because they say "Happy Holidays."

People just want to fight. I find myself saying both. If people want to be offended, that's their problem.

I do agree that political correctness is out of control. I can't remember if it's Lowes or Home Depot that is selling "Holiday Trees." Good grief.

I think some of the talk radio shows talk about this because they don't have anything else to talk about and this is a topic that many people have an opinion on. I'm with AR and OA. PS. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone that frequents this wonderful site.

Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho !!! Boys and Girls.

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat, and so am I.

Mrs. Claus had to buy another three yards of red velvet to stich into the middle of my suit so my tummy will still jiggle like a bowl full of jelly when I laugh. I think that all of those homemade cookies and glasses of milk that I have to delightfully consume each Christmas eve is doing it. But I do not plan to curb my enthusiasm or consumption of goodies on this one blessed night of the year.

Reindeer that can fly are getting harder and harder to find in the Arctic these days. I used to be able to count on my Swedish and Norwegian friends the Lapplanders to provide them when I ran short. But with global warming melting the permafrost up here, the flying deer are getting their feet stuck in the mud and fall on their noses when they try to pull free to run to get up enough speed to take off. Rudolph has to constantly clean the muck off of his nose these days in order for his beacon to light the way. But I digress.

Remember to be good boys and girls because you know that the NSA will be monitoring all of your communications of my behalf so I that can know who has been naughty and nice right up to the second that we take off. Timing is everything you know.

I really hate to leave people lumps of coal and empty coke bottles in their stockings if they misbehave and do mean things to others.

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night !

S Claus.... :D:D:D

Passover maybe. I don't think Hannakkah was ever that important a tradition. I think it has more recently become so just because it is nearish to Christmas and has some similar traditions (exchanging gifts, sweets, and lighting of candles).

But all the same, Happy Hannakkah and Happy Winter Soltice too. Gotta hand it to those pagans, they knew how to celebrate. :-)

--des

Edited by des

Passover maybe. I don't think Hannakkah was ever that important a tradition.

No, not until recently and because of Christmas.

But literally, there would be no Christmas without Hanukkah.

Had the Macabees not rebelled Judaism would not have survived and without Judaism there would be no Christianity!

There was that! :-)

Good thing huh? BTW, was over at a friend of mine and she had a small menorah and we lit the first candle. She is not Jewish but she made a statement about how she thought about the times things seemed most hopeless in her own life and how the oil managed to stay lit. She asked us to all think of this. This was so cool.

As far as that goes there is something to the whole thing of the pagan soltice celebrating, well basically the sun coming back. I'm sure hope filled the air thinking about new growth, new young animals and babies, the harvest to come (long from now), etc. etc.

And though I think that Kwanzaa is kind of an invented thing and that there aren't even too many African Americans who really celebrate it, I still think there are ideas in that to be welcomed.

I'm all for celebrating everything. So light the menorrah, dance naked round something (brrrr), sing a carol, etc. etc. Though at the moment Torie (the dog) and I are home and pretty tired out. I'll dance naked some other time.

Happy Christmas, Hannakkah, Kwanza, Solstice, and Seasons Greetings/ Happy Holidays thrown in!!! (I think Ramadan and some Buddhists and Hindu holidays are long off or I'd throw them in too.) :-)

Reminds me of a silly thing we used to say as kids. Ok here it is:

Roses are red, violets are bluish, if it wasn't for Christmas we'd all be Jewish."

Happy Happy!!

--des

Edited by des

• 2 weeks later...
There was that!  :-)

Good thing huh? BTW, was over at a friend of mine and she had a small menorah and we lit the first candle. She is not Jewish but she made a statement about how she thought about the times things seemed most hopeless in her own life and how the oil managed to stay lit. She asked us to all think of this. This was so cool.

As far as that goes there is something to the whole thing of the pagan soltice celebrating, well basically the sun coming back. I'm sure hope filled the air thinking about new growth, new young animals and babies,  the harvest to come (long from now), etc. etc.

I'm all for celebrating the sun coming back!

And though I think that Kwanzaa is kind of an invented thing and that there aren't even too many African Americans who really celebrate it, I still think there are ideas in that to be welcomed.

I'm all for celebrating everything. So light the menorrah, dance naked round something (brrrr), sing a carol, etc. etc.  Though at the moment Torie (the dog) and I are home and pretty tired out. I'll dance naked some other time.

It is about 80 here in sunny Southern California so naked dancing is not a problem ;)

*glad to be back in CA*

• 2 weeks later...

Happy really belated Chrismakwanzannakkuh, every one!

And Merry New Year.

Some of the best satire about the "The War On Christmas" has been on The Colbert Report -- that show that follows Jon Stewart's Daily Show. And Colbert is, by the way, a Catholic.

:)

Happy Martin Luther King's birthday too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):):)

--Mary

Two excerpts from the sermon:

"... retail merchants have been greeting customers with 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas.' Could it be tha retailers are more sensitive to our increasingly multicutluaral and multireligious society than some Christians who have grown accustomed to being the dominant faith?"

and here he actually quotes a conservative Pastor who published in the local paper

"'Merry Christmas' is a gretting specificaly meant to celebrate our Christian belief that God was present in Jesus Christ. 'Happy Holidays' is a far more appropriate greeting for retail merchants who [are] more concerned with profits and fourth quarter earning than they are in promiting any specific religon, and there's nothing wrong with that."