Willow Creek Closed On Christmas

MOW

We are also going to see Fun with Dick and Jane on Sunday. Not sure what else we have planned. My favorite line from the trailer is "I think we're in a little bit of a pickle, Dick!"

Hehehehe. :lol: I'm excited about the movie. I'm a huge Jim Carrey fan, but I'm going to purposely keep my expectations low (which usually means I enjoy the movie more).

We are also going to see Fun with Dick and Jane on Sunday. Not sure what else we have planned. My favorite line from the trailer is "I think we're in a little bit of a pickle, Dick!"

Hehehehe. :lol: I'm excited about the movie. I'm a huge Jim Carrey fan, but I'm going to purposely keep my expectations low (which usually means I enjoy the movie more).

Now we might go see the one with Jennifer Aniston about Mrs. Robinson! Decisions, decisions!

I can't read Lewis.  Can't get past the incredible amount of sexism.

Ya know, I've heard that, but I've never picked up on it. Pullman makes a big deal of it in his Narnia critiques.

Seriously? Read the part where he tells Lucy and (I forget the other names) about what they can't do because they are girls! Not to mention the fact that Jesus is depicted as a lion and Satan as a female witch. His writings are loaded with sexism.

I can't read Lewis.  Can't get past the incredible amount of sexism.

Ya know, I've heard that, but I've never picked up on it. Pullman makes a big deal of it in his Narnia critiques.

Seriously? Read the part where he tells Lucy and (I forget the other names) about what they can't do because they are girls! Not to mention the fact that Jesus is depicted as a lion and Satan as a female witch. His writings are loaded with sexism.

Uhmm, forgive me for speaking out of turn, but portraying Jesus as a Lion has a sound basis in Holy Writ (Genesis 49.9, Proverbs 20.2, Osee 11:10 and most clearly in Saint John's Apocalypse 5:5)

As for the other stuff, are you sure that Lewis is speaking when he some girls are, apparently told they can't do something or is it one of his characters? So the evil character is a woman, so what? if it were a man would it be "truer" for you? if so why is a man more representative of evil than a woman?

[ So the evil character is a woman, so what? if it were a man would it be "truer" for you?  if so why is a man more representative of evil than a woman?

When taken in context with the REST of his sexist views it is an example of his sexism. If it were only that he depicted Satan as a female and a witch that would be different.

As far as Jesus and the lion, God is also portrayed as a mother bear. Keep in mind that male lions are very lazy creatures. They do not hunt. They pretty much lie around in the sun and wait for the lioness to bring them food. The only time they fight is if another male threatens their territory. They also practice infanticide. I personally don't see a lion as a very good representation of Jesus.

Christianity's tendency to complete ignore the feminine portrayls of God and only embrace the masculine are also evidence of sexism both by Lewis and by Christians in general. Shame, because Jesus was most certainly a feminist, as is God.

Edited by October's Autumn

OTOH, Jesus is portrayed as in the cat family. Gotta think of that as a bit of a switcheroo.

I didn't like the book Narnia, btw, but did like the movie. The dialogue was FAR superior and even though the girls don't fight, the best actress and sort of the key character, imo, was the youngest girl. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but what she felt everyone felt. I thought she was wonderful.

--des

"Shame, because Jesus was most certainly a Feminist, as is God"

Good point, OA, in fact I think that Jesus' admonishment against divorce was not so much an advocacy of "Strict Father " morality, but a recognition that a

divorce would hve been catastrophic for a woman in those days . In his tirade against the Pharisees, in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says how they(the Pharisees ) devoured Widow's houses.

If it were not for women , I believe, the church would have died out years ago.

MOW

"Shame, because Jesus was most certainly a Feminist, as is God"

Good point, OA,  in fact I think that Jesus' admonishment against divorce was not so much an advocacy of "Strict Father " morality, but a recognition that a

divorce would hve been catastrophic for a woman in those days . In his tirade against the Pharisees, in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says how they(the Pharisees ) devoured Widow's houses.

If it were not for women , I believe, the church would have died out years ago.

MOW

I agree with your take on the divorce thing. I think Jesus was protecting women from the whims of an angry husband and a society who thought of them as their husband's property. I believe that women who divorced and could not remarry sometimes (often?) became prostitutes for a lack of any way to take care of themselves. If this were true it would be another reason for the admonishment. I think Jesus' answer to the Saducees regarding heaven also had a double meaning. They couldn't see how a woman who had been married to 7 men could belong to all of them in heaven. Jesus simply said that women would not be property in heaven. How radical!

Lions, and tigers, and bears, oh my !

The founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus (don't know if he was an uncle or not !) were abandoned twins and were nursed through childhood by a she-wolf.

God has the best time-space travel device and capabilities.

GOD IS DOG spelled backwards.

That's my take on it all !

Felice Navidad Amigos !

flow.... :D

Edited by flowperson