Two Out Of Three

jerryb

• 2 months later...
Omnipotence and absoluteness have nothing to do with "going poof" and making things happen.  Omnipotence means that God is the ground and source of all power in the universe -- there is no power that comes from somewhere other than God.  Absoluteness means that God is, by definition, contingent on nothing other than himself -- as opposed to everything else, which is, by definition, contingent on God.

Anyway, that's my $.02, take it for what it's worth. :D

I'm getting really confused! Contingent means dependent on something not yet certain, conditional. Liable to happen or not; uncertain; possible. Happening by chance ... possibly conditional on something uncertain.

Help! What am I missing?

minsocal :blink:

con·tin·gent

1. Liable to occur but not with certainty; possible.

2. Dependent on conditions or occurrences not yet established; conditional. See synonyms at dependent.

3. Happening by chance or accident; fortuitous. See synonyms at accidental.

4. Logic. True only under certain conditions; not necessarily or universally true: a contingent proposition.

de·pen·dent

1. Contingent on another.

2. Subordinate.

3. Relying on or requiring the aid of another for support: dependent children.

:)

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Today's world seems to force us all to live more and more on a "dependent and contingent" basis. especially in urban areas. Mostly this is because of our interconnectedness with each other, but not necessarily with nature in real ways. Ambiguity rules in most situations, no matter how much humans attempt to control or manipulate them, but their outcomes still remain mostly unforseen. We are all cursed and condemned to live in very interesting times !

But I am not worrying because I believe that G-d is in control.

flow.... :rolleyes:

con·tin·gent

1. Liable to occur but not with certainty; possible.

2. Dependent on conditions or occurrences not yet established; conditional. See synonyms at dependent.

3. Happening by chance or accident; fortuitous. See synonyms at accidental.

4. Logic. True only under certain conditions; not necessarily or universally true: a contingent proposition.

de·pen·dent

1. Contingent on another.

2. Subordinate.

3. Relying on or requiring the aid of another for support: dependent children.

:)

Ahhhh ... I took my definition from The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy

"contingent, neither impossible nor necessary; i.e., both possible and non-necessary ... Muddles about the relationship between this and other modal properties have abounded ever since Aristotle ...." Along with this definition, there is a extended modal square of opposition showing that in all cases 'contingent' does not mean 'dependent'. The only usage of the concept of 'contingent' that I am familiar with is this one. It's use in this manner maintains a clear distinction between 'necessity' and 'contingency'... "something that is contingent cannot be neccessary."

minsocal :blink:

"something that is contingent cannot be neccessary."

Right. :)

God is NOT contingent. God is necessary.

However we ARE contingent. We are not necessary.

Saying that God is contingent on himself, while a brain twister, is technically true. Otherwise you get the "who created God?" scenario that rationally has no answer.

Edited by AletheiaRivers

PS -

I'm getting really confused! Contingent means dependent on something not yet certain, conditional. Liable to happen or not; uncertain; possible. Happening by chance ... possibly conditional on something uncertain.

Put another way - Saying that we are contingent (dependent) on "something not yet certain" isn't saying that GOD isn't certain, but that the circumstances (say - creation on God's part) isn't a necessity.

Edited by AletheiaRivers

"something that is contingent cannot be neccessary."

Right. :)

God is NOT contingent. God is necessary.

However we ARE contingent. We are not necessary.

Saying that God is contingent on himself, while a brain twister, is technically true. Otherwise you get the "who created God?" scenario that rationally has no answer.

Thanks Aletheia. I agree on all three points... it was the "brain twister" that got me.

minsocal :D

Hmmm...interesting parsing of the terms.

But we are twisted by these thoughts and concepts because we are imbedded in a flow of historical time and its events that are dependent upon our abilities to create them individually and collectively; and, upon our abilities to recognize and record their effects upon society. The events themselves are contingencies that operate to move the processes of human life forward and not backward, that is if one is progressive in their thought patterns.

As I've said here on the board several times before, historical reality, at least for several hundred years now, has usually ended up being the version recorded by whatever white guy wins the arguments.

However, my belief is that these days we are descending into a blur of unresolvable events simply because of our technological abilities to dessect and parse the most complex events into wholly ambiguous piles of facts and data that point in no particular directions to argue about. It may be that this is due to our 150 years of efforts to detach our day-to-day lives in western culture from our very ground of being, nature...hmmmmm?

Yes, G-d is very necessary these days, and increasingly so it seems.

flow.... :blink: