God Or Mammon?

flowperson

Okay troops, time to get down to the important stuff!

What do you think about religious slogans in everyday commercial media?. If you live out west and are an afficianado of In-N-Out Burger you know that bible verse references have appeared on their drink cups for some time. I and my parents still go there once a month for our burger and fries fix (the meat's never frozen and the fries are made out of real potatoes on the spot !!) . It's all almost a religious gustatorial experience, and I've never even looked up one of the references when I've returned home. I highly recommend a #1 "animal style" with grilled onions.

This article discusses the growing phenomenon of mixing religious slogans and dogma with commercial pursuits. What are your opinions on the purposes and reasons for the growth of this trend? Do you believe that Starbuck's risks "brewing" (sorry) trouble in their attempt to somehow compensate for their pro-gay statement on their cups last year?

flow....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/23/weekinreview/23cave.html

:D

We have a local burger chain here that has "God bless America" on the cups.

I don't think it really means much. As far as what Jesus would say, maybe it depends on the extent of it and what the people are peddling. I think Jesus gets more mad at TV preachers selling "annoited prayer cloths" than stuff written on the drink cups at the burger joint.

I like the scene in Jesus Christ Superstar when Jesus drives all the gun peddlers and money changers and stuff out of the temple.

>Do you believe that Starbuck's risks "brewing" (sorry) trouble in their attempt to somehow compensate for their pro-gay statement on their cups last year?

I think it's all in the demographics, so prob. not. I'd guess that the average Starbucks drinker (user:-)) was highly educated, upper middle class or at least upwardly mobile, urban or inner ring suburban. You know it all came out of Seattle, which is more or less politically liberal. They already have fairly liberal labor/ social types of statements (like using co-op coffee).

>We have a local burger chain here that has "God bless America" on the cups.

I don't think it really means much. As far as what Jesus would say, maybe it depends on the extent of it and what the people are peddling. I think Jesus gets more mad at TV preachers selling "annoited prayer cloths" than stuff written on the drink cups at the burger joint.

Wonder why the Bush administration doesn't put the words "in OUR God we trust" on every bullet. Seems a quick simple solution.

--des

Much of this depends on context.

I oppose the use of religion for capitalistic purposes.

This is one reason that "Bible Book Stores" make me sick - selling plastic crap (likely made in sweat shops) with the newest "Christian phrase" on them IE: WWJD, FROG, PUSH, etc.

However, if the verse of scripture, or other inspirational thought, is published in such a way that it is clearly designed to give comfort and support to those who come in contact with it, then I support the idea. Afterall, we can all stand some encouragment now and then.

Determining the context is key. What verse is selected, how is it presented?, is it appropriate to the venue, is it polite, etc....

I don't care for it either. But if someone owns the store they can do whatever they want. Of course the purpose might be quite cynical. I heard someone on TV (a Christian comedian) claim Jesus was good for business and helping him. He seemed to see no irony in his statements that he was basically using Christian conservatives in his quest to make money.

--des