Christian preachers

John Hunt

I think you're right, John.  It's easy to laugh at this stuff, but really it is scary to think that so many Americans are so convinced of these beliefs.  I'm sure they are a minority, but a very dangerous minority nonetheless - like the mob that stormed the Capitol carrying christian flags and banners.  What if they had succeeded?  What if Trump has succeeded in overturning the election?  Would the US eventually be experiencing a Theocracy?  Is such that far off?

And how twisted is the thinking that their version of God put Trump in power (with, to put it mildly, all his character flaws), but somehow God was defeated this time around when Biden was put in power!  I think this is the poison that is religion. 

On 03/02/2021 at 7:59 PM, PaulS said:

I think you're right, John.  It's easy to laugh at this stuff, but really it is scary to think that so many Americans are so convinced of these beliefs.  I'm sure they are a minority, but a very dangerous minority nonetheless - like the mob that stormed the Capitol carrying christian flags and banners.  What if they had succeeded?  What if Trump has succeeded in overturning the election?  Would the US eventually be experiencing a Theocracy?  Is such that far off?

And how twisted is the thinking that their version of God put Trump in power (with, to put it mildly, all his character flaws), but somehow God was defeated this time around when Biden was put in power!  I think this is the poison that is religion. 

It's a function of any toxic group though, not just religious ones. Religion just happens to be a very effectively rallying point around which toxicity can rally. 

Economics and politics are other effective rallying point that effectively stirs hateful and oppressive rhetoric. 

Anger and righteous indignation can be harnessed to fuel many toxic identities. 

Blaming religion is short-sighted. You could entirely eliminate religion and the problem would still persist in myriad other forms. 

Convincing, charismatic leaders who rile people up and stoke the flames of outrage will always exist, and they'll use whatever tools they have at their disposal to direct the anger and rage of their followers. 

People are pretty naturally inclined towards righteous indignation. It's an uphill battle to foster that into something good for the world, and it's very, very easy to harness it in a negative way. 

To be clear, I have plenty of disdain for a lot of organized religious groups, but that's because I have a lot of disdain for a lot of organized groups in general. I don't discriminate in terms of wariness of organized ideology. 

But one can be wary of something and value it at the same time. 

Edited by Kellerman