The Erosion Of Scientific Thought

flowperson

>>As a side point, you didn't interact with the main thrust of my argument at all. That being, principally, that Naziism has nothing more than lip service to do with Christianity.

>>jamesAMDG

I think that is essentially true. Though I think that Naziism "used" Christianity. Perhaps in somewhat the same way that current fundamentalist Islamists use Islam. I'm quite sure Islam doesnt' really have to do with blowing up noncombatants.Though I'd say, I don't know too much about it. But I see the use of a religion to justify actions that no one would consider Christian or God-like.

>I know you might think that progressives are weakening the faith by questioning authority and by believing that Christianity is not the only way to God. Speaking only for myself I think we do this not out of narcissism but because of reason and experience.( My Methodism is showing here). Dr King was a Christian , but he was greatly influenced by Mohandes Ghandi , a Hindu. Buddhist monks visit Dr Kings gravesite on his birthday.

Very well said. Amen.

> It would be difficult for many to believe that Dr King and Dietrich Bonhoeffer get to go to heaven because they are Christians but Mohandes Ghandi would have to be cast into Hell because technically he was not "saved" .

Yes I do find it offensive that Gandhi, the Dali Lama, etc. are supposedly going straight to hell. But then I don't believe in hell as a physical site either.

>MOW

--des

Just when you think that you're out of The Twilight Zone, you're back in it.

This popped up on my daily journey through the NY Times. Looks like some important people are doing something already.

flow.... :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/science/13research.html

Edited by flowperson

> Yes I do find it offensive that Gandhi,the Dali Lama etc. are supposedly going straight to hell. But then I don't believe in hell as a physical site either.

>des

I don't believe in hell as a physical site either but this makes me think of some alternative views of hell.

You might recall a Twilight Zone episode where a petty thief dies and thinks at first that he is in heaven. He gets everything he wants, always wins at poker,has his pick of seemingly beautiful women etc. After awhile he runs out of things to do and is tired of everything going his way . Finally when he's about go insane with the predictability of everything he tells what he thinks is his guardian angel that he's sick of heaven and wants to go the other place. The "angel" then replies" "what makes you think you're in heaven, this is the other place!"

MOW

This is in furtherance of the subject of this thread.

Today's New York Times website includes an excellent article concerning the de-facto privatization of many renowned public universities over the past two to three decades. This, of course, is the natural outcome of devoting fewer public dollars to support public higher education; which, in turn, results in diminished public benefit for us all in the long term. It sure all reads like some sort of long term conspiracy to further the dumbing-down of the ordinary citizens of our country. To what end I wonder?

flow....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/education/16college.html

Edited by flowperson

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse for not taking us where we really wish to go , I would recommend this article as a further example of how the higher education edifice is being seriously distorted by big business.

Amen, so be it. Nuff said.

flow.... :o

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/31/education/31college.html