Newer Book Recommendations (published within the last 5 years)

irreverance

I have a pretty good theological library...but I haven't added anything significant to it for about a decade. Yeah, "slacker". That' me. Bottom line: I used to be current. Now I am not. 

So what's good that's new? And by "new" I mean within the last 5 years or so.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, irreverance said:

I have a pretty good theological library...but I haven't added anything significant to it for about a decade. Yeah, "slacker". That' me. Bottom line: I used to be current. Now I am not. 

So what's good that's new? And by "new" I mean within the last 5 years or so.

N.T. Wright’s Paul: A Biography.  Academic and lengthy but a new classic.

Michael Heiser’s The Unseen Realm.  Probably the most thorough Biblical researcher in original languages writes on the Bible’s concept of non-worldly beings and environments.  Secondarily, his follow-on books Angels and Demons.  Shorter and fascinating with lots of conversation material.  

9 hours ago, irreverance said:

Thanks @BurlThe Unseen Realm looks very interesting. Academic biblical studies used to be more of a focus of mine. 

Heiser’s exegesis centers around God being unique, but creating and governing with a divine council.  

Heiser also shows how the Hebrew word elohim is the class of all supernatural beings.  Angels, demons, ghosts etc. are all elohim.  God is an elohim, but other elohim are not God.

Not an expensive book either.

• 3 months later...