Interview The Person Below You

des

We are doing this on another forum and it has been lots of fun, imo. We've made forum hx by staying on topic the longest I think. So lets' try it here (hope it goes over better than my HP spoilers thread :-)).

This is a way to have some friendly fun, plus a way to get to know our fellow tcpc forum members!

I will start the thread..I will ask a simple question..and the next person to post here must answer the question, then they also must ask a question..and the next person will answer and so on......!!! :) (I'm changing the rules slightly so that the asker answers the question too.)

Let's have a little friendly informative fun here!

OK first question, "WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING (OR IF IN SCHOOL WHERE DO YOU GO)?"

(I'm a special ed teacher)

--des

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll bite. :)

I currently work out of my home doing research on "alternative" medical therapies for a natural foods store I used to manage for (until my health forced me to quit). I then create training and educational packets for the employees that work at the stores (there are 4) from the information I gather.

Question: Who is your favorite author and what is your favorite book from that author?

OK, I'll bite. :)

I currently work out of my home doing research on "alternative" medical therapies for a natural foods store I used to manage for (until my health forced me to quit). I then create training and educational packets for the employees that work at the stores (there are 4) from the information I gather.

Question: Who is your favorite author and what is your favorite book from that author?

Second Bite: Elaine Pagels, The Gnostic Gospels, when knowledge acquisition is primary

Any John D. Macdonald novel when entertainment is the priority.

Question: Do you think that movies are better then ever? Or, do you think that they have become less entertainment and more illusory gimmickry since digital production and special effects were introduced in the late 70's and early 80's?

Second Bite:  Elaine Pagels, The Gnostic Gospels, when knowledge acquisition is primary

Any John D. Macdonald novel when entertainment is the priority.

Question:  Do you think that movies are better then ever? Or, do you think that they have become less entertainment and more illusory gimmickry since digital production and special effects were introduced in the late 70's and early 80's?

I would say there is a wider range of freedom in movies today that allow for some truly unique films. Movies like Star Wars (the original), Apollo 13, Finding Nemo, Truman, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Lord of the Rings trilogy reflect great story telling, thought and even compelling visuals only possible with digital production and effects.

Then there are the classics my wife and I have been enjoying from the 80's like "The Breakfast Club." & "Ferris Beuller". What can I say...

This same freedom means there are also some extremely bad movies out there. I won't list those...

Question: What music do you find yourself listening to today? And how much has your taste changed over the years?

felix angler

Edited by felix angler

I have been listening to a lot of public radio lately and that means more of the classical music that is out there. When I am up late though, it changes to jazz or folk sometimes, and that is a real joy.

When I was a teen, low those three years ago, I listened to mostly classic rock or some alternative stuff. I am glad that I have rediscovered the real classics.

Question: If you could do anything for a vocation what would you chose? And if you could do anything career wise what would you do?

>what career would you chose?

Well if I could do *anything*-- if practicality were no concern, I'd love to lead snorkeling tours. Go off and teach people about life in the sea (or maybe an oceanographer). (Sometimes these ideas change year to year though.)

Ok, here's a nice light question?

What was your first car (mine was a 58 Chevy Bel Air-- drank motor oil).

--des

First car ...

It was a Datsun, I'm not sure what year now ... 1984 I think? Right before they changed to Nissan.

It was a baby blue, four door sedan. I got a kick-butt Pioneer stereo system for Christmas from my parents (ok, it was kick butt for 1986) just after I got the car. It was heaven. :)

Here's another lite question: What is your single favorite food or dish? Also what is your favorite ethnicity of food?

>Here's another lite question: What is your single favorite food or dish? Also what is your favorite ethnicity of food?

I was seeing if someone else would pick up but--- ok, Chinese. But it has to be "good Chinese". As for single favorite food--- I think beefsteak tomatoes. YUM.

And here's one:

Favorite movie of all time? (for me maybe Close Encounters)

--des

Edited by des

>Here's another lite question: What is your single favorite food or dish? Also what is your favorite ethnicity of food?

--des

I'm fond of Lebanese food. I work as a housekeeper and personal assistant for the rich (where I learn a great deal about what "poverty" is and what "wealth" is.) I am also a tarot instructor. My first car was a Volkswagen Beetle. My favorite all-time book (and this is difficult as I have many favorites) is Annie Dillards' "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek". Did I miss any?

Question: What short-term goal are you currently working on?

lily

And, another easy question - if you could have a couple of weeks anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Backpacking through central or south america.

What famous person in all of history (we'll take Jesus out of the equation) would you most like to spend an evening with?

Question: What important goal have you attained so far?

World domination. Oh, wait, you said "have attained." Well, most recently I have my podcast up and running. It's a pretty big thing to me. It's about a new approach to ministry.

Question: Have you ever tried to see how many licks it really does take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop, and if so how many did you get to?

>Question: Have you ever tried to see how many licks it really does take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop, and if so how many did you get to?

Uh, no. (wierd) :-)

(Though I wonder if this implies XC has.)

Are you a night owl or morning person? (owl myself-- forced into a morning person world.. grrr.)

--des

I'm a night person because I enjoy reading and learning from this site. Also I am a Financial consultant in Iowa. I like Borg and Peter Gomes as well as Joan Chittester. Favorite movie? The Sting. Music-BS & T, Neil Diamond and Beatles(guess my age) Vocation- I would like to have a business where I helped people not to be poor. First Car? 1963 Corvair Favorite food? Grilled hamburgers with everything on them, Short term goal? to begin a small group to visit about books that discuss global concerns. Where would I go in this world? Northern minnesota to relax, read and meditate. Who would I like to spend an evening with? Phil Jackson(anyone know him?) What Goal Have I attained lately? I'm getting rid of some busyness in my life to allow me to spend more time with the most important people in my life.

My question is: Who is the person that has been the most influential to you in your life?

My turn again I guess. :-P

I thought about this for a while and I'd have to say my mother. Although she doesn't directly influence my life now, the act of being my parent has influenced every aspect of my life. My father, of course, would be a close second. Being raised Christian (ish) would make Jesus right up there too.

Question: What is your favorite animal, domestic or otherwise, and WHY?

Question: What is your favorite animal, domestic or otherwise, and WHY?

I'm going to have to go the via negativa here and start with what I don't like. I'm not overly fond of creepy crawly things or reptile-like organizms. Fluffy or furry...or feathery...are more to my liking. For a while, I was on a tiger kick, but I really don't like the idea of dinner time turning on me. Something I can have on my lap while watching TV would be good too. I'm going to go with a Cocker Spaniel. It would be cute and bouncy, although I might need to sedate it when I want to go to sleep.

Question: Where was the last place you went on vacation? (And tell us a bit about it.)

>last place i went for vacation?

NW CA (Monterrey, etc.). I went partly for an educational event. Then did fun stuff--- aquarium, met up with a buddy from online, museums, etc. Before that Key West!!!

An embarrassing incident you would be able to reveal?

--des

Ok, I'll answer and then I'll pass it on. I guess no one wanted to volunteer that one. (Or else people are tired of the thread.)

An embarrassing event was the "show and go" which is a fun (no rankings, prizes, etc) agility meet (dog agility where they jump over jumps, do tunnels, etc). Anyway, someone was watching Torie and broke off the leash and Torie ran and ran. The thing that was embarrassing is I could almost hear everyone about how ill trained my dog was (she just won't do come-- except in quite controlled settings). I was more worried that I would get her. But deep in the back of my mind, I also saw a teacher that I do not like (strict and very mean to the dogs) thinking all thse things. I finally got Torie (actually someone else did) and she has never (and won't again) go to one of those again.

NOw a question:

Do you need caffeine to get going in the morning? And if what would be your preferred "delivery system"? also you're usual one.

--des

Do you need caffeine to get going in the morning? And if what would be your preferred "delivery system"? also you're usual one.

I don't need it, I can quit anytime I want. ;)

Since there is a Charbucks conveniently located a few blocks from work, I generally end up there every morning. My two standards are raspberry mocha, and cinnamon latte. Iced in the summertime, and easy on the syrups -- I want to taste the coffee, not the syrup.

I don't need it, I can quit anytime I want. ;)

Since there is a Charbucks conveniently located a few blocks from work, I generally end up there every morning. My two standards are raspberry mocha, and cinnamon latte. Iced in the summertime, and easy on the syrups -- I want to taste the coffee, not the syrup.

raspberry mocha and cinnamon latte? Is that really coffee? I'm from Louisiana and Coffee is black, rich, and strong and I drink tons of it with a touch of cream. If your son keeps you up at night Fred, you may want to try coffee Louisiana style...I promise you it'll get you up and going strong in the morning no matter what!

lily

raspberry mocha and cinnamon latte? Is that really coffee? I'm from Louisiana and Coffee is black, rich, and strong and I drink tons of it with a touch of cream. If your son keeps you up at night Fred, you may want to try coffee Louisiana style...I promise you it'll get you up and going strong in the morning no matter what!

Heh. Well, I do like "real coffee," but there's almost nowhere to get a really good cup of it out. I have a friend/ex-coworker who roasts his own beans, so I got pretty spoiled! I've had the chickory stuff in Louisiana, and it's pretty good too. But I don't thumb my nose at dessert coffee. ;) I say, hey, if it's good, drink it.