Christianexodus.org

des

Ok, now here's a far out group. They are calling for "godly Christians" (meaning I am assuming fundamentalist-- prolife, anti-stem cell research, pro-conservative judges, etc.) to all move to S. Carolina where they intend to seceed from the US! (perhaps a few counties at a time). Funny thing I was watching info on this on ABC news with a fundamentalist and he laughed harder than I did!

Another thing, though they think the US is totally evil (talks about "evil men" like John Kerry), somehow they do not believe that the US will forceably prevent them from seceeding, as we do supposedly have a right to do this (yes the founding fathers did discuss it). AFAIK, there were two other times in US history where states or municipalities seceeded. One time started the Civil war. The other was a publicity stunt to force the US military to open up teh highway between the Keys and the main state of Florida. Troops were tying up HY 1 for drug interdiction, causing much inconvenience. Key West declared itself an independent state (The Conch Republic). A few troops came into the area, and I think they ended with a big party. It doesn't sound like the country of S. Carolina would end things in a party. (There may be more instances but I couldn't find them.)

Gosh I think they are serious. For train wreck type reading (you know too terrible to look at and too aweful not to look, see the webpage: http://www.christianexodus.org

--des

Well CC they *say* they would not impose their ideas on anybody. But I dont' know exactly how that would work. *IF* the counties left the US then everyone leaves. (I suppose they could BUY the land using the eminent domain provision, but that sort of contradicts their stated values, though I don't know if they would let such a teensy thing stop them with their grand ideals. :-))

I'm assuming if it ever got that far that the US would send overwhelming force into the area, and hope eveyone leaves peacefully. You would see neat little scenes (heavy sarcasium) of tanks and AK 47s and so on like with several cults in recent memory. I assume either the "Christian Exodians" would give up or there would be a blood bath.

I don't know how ok all this would be to S.Carolines as conservative a state as it is. I'm sure the vast majority would not favor it. As far as I'm concerned if we could find them a suitable plot of land, I wouldn't miss them. But I don't know that the majority of any state is going to not want to be part of the US.

I've read there are Texans who would be interested.

You know I don't like the term "cult" but I wouldn't mind calling them that. :-)

OTOH, I really doubt they'll get that far. I think there are lots of people that might think they have the right idea, but are comfortable with the way things are too much to take this all on.

The site has a lot of hits and members but not sure that that really translates to action.

--des

I checked out the site and the great thing about the Christian Exodus is that they sell gear. They have a polo shirt available for sale. I guess I will not have to wait until the last minute for my Christmas shopping.

Let me know if any of you want bumper stickers and I will keep you in mind when I make my order.

I checked out the site and the great thing about the Christian Exodus is that they sell gear.  They have a polo shirt available for sale.  I guess I will not have to wait until the last minute for my Christmas shopping.

At least it's encouraging to know that they haven't abandoned the consumer spirit that America holds so dear.

I agree, Fred. Of course they say they want to retain all great American values so I guess consumerism would be one of these. I just hope they will be able to fight wars like God intended. ;-)

--des

I checked out the site and the great thing about the Christian Exodus is that they sell gear.  They have a polo shirt available for sale.  I guess I will not have to wait until the last minute for my Christmas shopping.

At least it's encouraging to know that they haven't abandoned the consumer spirit that America holds so dear.

The cynical part of me says that surely there are some developers or real estate people that are a part of this project.

Well Jasn, there are tons of resources on the page, so you may well be right on that. Someone may be trying to get more folks "investing" in their state. Not sure whether those investors were the cause or just taking part in a good thing.

Everyone on my Christian Shopping list is getting a Christian exodus t-shirt.

Or how about, "I went to the Christian Country of South Carolina and all I got..."

;-)

--des