Marriage Equality In The Ucc

FredP

Haven't seen this come up around here, so I thought I'd post it.

http://news.ucc.org/index.php?option=com_c...id=243&Itemid=1

Sorry if anyone's been missing my daily wordiness.  Just haven't had it in me lately.

Well I have been missing your daily wordiness, but I understand. I've been feeling quiet too.

lily

I think it's more that my thoughts osscilate between the theological and the political, and I'm on the decidedly political end of the pendulum right now. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm about to become a parent, and I really want my son to grow up in a world that celebrates his unique gifts, whatever they may be, and doesn't try to pollute his brain with corporate garbage by the time he's six months old.

I think it's more that my thoughts osscilate between the theological and the political, and I'm on the decidedly political end of the pendulum right now.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm about to become a parent, and I really want my son to grow up in a world that celebrates his unique gifts, whatever they may be, and doesn't try to pollute his brain with corporate garbage by the time he's six months old.

Understood. In my own case, self-observation and efforts to act more authentically in trying circumstances (and realizing how often I do not) has me feeling more quiet and introverted.

When do you expect your son?

lily

Three weeks - wow! A little off the wall advice??? Eat hot food, laze around in bed, go see some movies, treasure your wife's ability to complete a thought and/or sentence.... :P

The best thought anyone gave me was that everyone will tell you that your life will change, and it will. But, the real difference is that it's not YOUR life anymore. (and that's a good thing)

Mazel Tov!

Edited by Cynthia

Congratulations in advance, Fred. All the best to you and yours...

You make some excellent observations.

I was also encouraged to hear of the UCC vote toward allowing same-sex marriage. It is not the way for me, but I definitely believe it should be a viable option for Christian couples of that orientation.

My own denomination (ABC-USA) is presently embroiled in a bitter dispute, where, from what I understand, the more ultra-conservative, so-called "evangelical" wing (I think they misunderstand what "evangelical" means along with most other fundamentalists) is trying to make a power grab and using the homosexuality question as ammunition to advance their misguided cause...

I am glad to be able to call myself both progressive Christian and Baptist, but the fundamentalists are thirsty for power and in antagonist mode...

Please pray for us.

Peace,

John

Edited by peacemover

Thanks everybody! We're enjoying the calm before the storm, trying to take advantage of going out and doing things, before we get strapped in for awhile. :)

I was excited about the UCC's decision as well, but I do understand the inevitable backlash that is already occurring, and will continue to occur, around the country in the aftermath of it. I was hoping to get around to writing a short article on the subject (in all my spare time, of course), and seeing if I can get popular in the UCC editorial pages.

I was very happy with the decision and felt it indicated courage esp. being a UCC member and all. I found the coverage interesting. It was on network tv and CNN. Though coverage was a bit misleading (though I'm not sure if the reporters understood the misleading statement they made). There was a comment that "the decision is not binding on any congregation". The thing is, since UCC is congregational NOTHING is binding on the congregation. As I said, I don't think this misleading statement was really understood.

I would guess there will be some (but not a lot) of churches who decide not to be part of UCC as a result (after all we already have gay pastors, etc.). But there are some very conservative UCC churches. This surprised me, but it is true. There is even a fundamentalist group http://www.biblicalwitness.org Even after reading their statements I am confused way they stay in the most liberal mainline congregation, which has been that way for years and years, there is. Some of their statements are pretty much made up, imo/ime. But anyway there they are, but I think some people would rather be mad than happy. :-)

--des

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see the UCC synod making a resolution about this. IT is also true that the UCC is congregational and no individual congregation has to marry gay folk if they don't want.

Aside from that, I'm going to talk about gay marriage in general. My feeling is this:

This whole issue is a matter of civil rights. It's not about religion. I am gay. I've HAD a church wedding. My union was blessed by 3 Presbyterian ministers. And guess what, legally that don't amount to a hill of cow flop. What I want is the piece of paper that says that I have the same civil rights as a couple who went to a JP or who went to Vegas and got married by Elvis. Churches right now can marry or not marry gay folk as they wish. And it doesn't take a church or other religious body for straight folk to get legally married.

I am in favor of Vermont style civil unions. No religion involved, strictly legally contractual.

Dillo

I think it was Tony Campolo (sp?) that suggested that very good idea (didn't know that Virginia already does this) but that the whole marriage thing be redone. Anyone could get a civil union from the state (straight or gay) and that those were the unions that had the law behind them in terms of rights, etc. That the church be taken out of the legal union business (you know when there is a marriage in a church they say they are acting for the state of Illinois or whatever). Churches would be free to marry people in a spiritual union and that they would be free as their own faith dictates (you know that some churches would not marry gays and some would). I think that this is the way it used to be anyway. The church performing a legal union is relatively new.

I think it is a way totally around the current debacle. If you argue for legal unions for gays instead of marriage, you always run into the "separate but equal" problem.

--des

Edited by des