What are you doing for the environment?

JosephM

Since caring for our environment is an important aspect of concern to many, i thought it would be interesting knowing what members are doing that contribute to its care.

I'll start

I drive an electric car.    I dispose of my trash properly (no littering)

I have 3 solar tubes installed for light in the house. I use led lights through-out the house and solar  night lights installed outside.

I separate from the trash and give to recycling my glass bottles, plastic, paper and aluminum products.

Anyone else do anything they would share or have any ideas that would contribute to a cleaner safer environment?

2 hours ago, JosephM said:

Since caring for our environment is an important aspect of concern to many, i thought it would be interesting knowing what members are doing that contribute to its care.

I'll start

I drive an electric car.    I dispose of my trash properly (no littering)

I have 3 solar tubes installed for light in the house. I use led lights through-out the house and solar  night lights installed outside.

I separate from the trash and give to recycling my glass bottles, plastic, paper and aluminum products.

Anyone else do anything they would share or have any ideas that would contribute to a cleaner safer environment?

I have a white steel roof.  Drops my Florida power usage by 1/3.

I generally try and live with conserving power and water in mind (turn off unnecessary lights, wash the car on the lawn, do full loads of washing, utilise natural light and windflow, etc).  I too also separate my rubbish - waste in one bin (collected weekly) and recycling in another (collected fortnightly).  I also compost all of our food scraps (not milk or dairy though).  I mulch my gardens to prevent water loss which means then needing to use less water and power to water plants - I have a bore - I don't know what other countries call them ( a powered pump that taps into groundwater).  I hope to get some solar panels on my roof soon if I can manage the immediate outlay (I know the long term benefits will be there, but have to ride out the short term costs).  I generally use reusable shopping bags and not plastic, store bags.

I have the first bath of the night, followed by my wife and then my two sons.  Only kidding! :)

I've been doing a lot of the things that people have mentioned above.

I also advocate for clean, green energy. There are a lot of amazing clean energy innovations out there, so many that one can really believe that our energy problems could really be solved in renewable and sustainable ways, without the pollution and without risking going into full scale global warming.

I have a friend who sneaks onto conservative Christian websites and posts the following verses, trying to tell them that conservatives can actually conserve, and that these verses mean, "don't do that":

Revelation 11-18 "The time has come for judging. . . and for destroying those who destroy the earth.”

Don't want to get into any "end of times" prophecies here, apparently people have been destroying the and desertfying the earth for a long time. Just want to let people know that the bible does say something besides "dominate and subdue" the earth. 

9 hours ago, PaulS said:

I have the first bath of the night, followed by my wife and then my two sons.  Only kidding! :)

Come on, take a sponge bath once in a while to save water and energy, and let the kids have the bath! (just kidding and not kidding, both at the same time) . 🙂 🙂 

2 hours ago, Elen1107 said:

Come on, take a sponge bath once in a while to save water and energy, and let the kids have the bath! (just kidding and not kidding, both at the same time) . 🙂 🙂 

😀.  Maybe I’ll just let my teenage boys run with their normal practice of telling me they don’t need to shower, even after a day full of sport!

5 minutes ago, PaulS said:

😀.  Maybe I’ll just let my teenage boys run with their normal practice of telling me they don’t need to shower, even after a day full of sport!

Well that will impress the girls!! . 🙂 . 🙂 .

Teenage boys, I'll bet they're giving you a run for your money, eating half a horse everyday while still growing out of their clothes! Did anyone warn you about that part?

10 minutes ago, Elen1107 said:

Well that will impress the girls!! . 🙂 . 🙂 .

Teenage boys, I'll bet they're giving you a run for your money, eating half a horse everyday while still growing out of their clothes! Did anyone warn you about that part?

No, funnily enough, nobody ever eally presented the ‘challenges’ whenever we discussed having a family! 😜

I do sometimes joke with others who are talking about having kids by saying -“You know how people say they can’t imagine their lives without their children?  Well I can!”

I love them really, I promise. 😀

14 minutes ago, PaulS said:

No, funnily enough, nobody ever eally presented the ‘challenges’ whenever we discussed having a family! 😜

I do sometimes joke with others who are talking about having kids by saying -“You know how people say they can’t imagine their lives without their children?  Well I can!”

I love them really, I promise. 😀

Well that's good

Love them, really, I promise you won't regret it 🙂