Any Colorado People?

louis

I just discovered this part of TCPC today. What a great idea!

Actually, the topic of the post was more wondering if there are any people out there in the Colorado area. I just moved to Colorado recently and am trying to find how to learn more about the progressive Christianity communities in the Denver/Colorado Springs area. It can be a bit of a conservative place, so I'm looking to find some like-minded organizations and churches in the area. Any suggestions??

Green Mountain United Methodist Church in Lakewood, CO (just west of Denver) is an official TCPC congregation.

Also Aravada UMC (in Arvada) is very progressive; as are St. Andrew's UMC in Highlands Ranch, Father Dyer UMC in Breckenridge, Mountainview UMC in Boulder, 1st UMC in Boulder, and St. Paul's UMC in Denver.

Also, if you ever venture into Summit County (ski country), you'd do well to check out Lord of the Mountains ELCA (Lutheran Church) in Dillon, CO near Silverthorne. They are a very progressive congregation.

• 5 months later...

Thanks BrotherRog! I haven't had time to get back here in a while. I appreciate the suggestions. My brother and his wife got married at the church you mentioned in Dillon. I"ve never attended the service, but will try to next time I'm up in the area. We have a family condo in Breck, so we get there time to time.

I'm not from Colorado, but I was there this summer!

If you have an interest in mysticism, meditation, or contemplative prayer, I understand that Denver has a well-organized local Contemplative Outreach network. Check them out http://www.centeringprayer.com.

In Snowmass, Colorado (near Aspen) there is a beautiful, quiet, Trappist monastery: St. Benedict's. It's quite a drive -- but a beautiful drive and worth a weekend trip.

Have you heard of integral philosopher Ken Wilber? He lives in the Denver/Boulder area. He's a Buddhist who has a great respect for the various wisdom traditions, including Christianity. Check out his books Grace and Grit and A Brief History of Everything.

Peace to you --

Mary