Place for calm thoughtful discussion?

dkm3870

Hello All-

I am a thoughtful, logical Christian.  Technically United Methodist, but more liberal than the leadership of this denomination.  Read a lot of Spong and agree with most of his stuff, but not sure I can live with how remote his God is.  Also reading a lot of Richard Rohr, a Franciscan priest- who tracks along with Spong on most things, but for him Christ is everywhere and in everything, just waiting for us to realize it and accept it.  I have been frustrated in trying to find a group to have civil discussions with about theology.  I think we all learn and benefit from open discussion, but A) it is not something most of my family or friends want to talk about and B) those who are connected to our church only want to talk about "what" God is doing in their lives, not "whether" God is active in their lives.  I am hoping that this is place where I can compare thoughts and insights with others with a similar interest?  Is that the case?

Welcome to the forum DKM. 

I thought your comment " Read a lot of Spong and agree with most of his stuff, but not sure I can live with how remote his God is." was quite humorous. 😊

I think we all talk about the same God but from a different conditioned view with different words more slanted to our own view. I really don't see God as remote at all but more  of what you seem to describe as to what Richard Rohr writes. (I'm not familiar with his work other than your comment)

As far as your last question, i don't see why not except there are times when feathers are ruffled. We will try to keep it to a minimum this New Year.

Joseph

Welcome and yes, I think this is a place where you can participate in thoughtful discussions. 

Also, there is a lot of material in the forum archives from many previous discussion.  Just adding a comment to one of those can re-spark the conversation too, even if it is years old.

Cheers

Paul

On 1/3/2020 at 2:47 PM, dkm3870 said:

Hello All-

Welcome dkm.

Given your intro and area of interest in discussion with those of 'similar interests' let me suggest the Progressive Christianity thread. I like Spong but I can see where one would see 'his' God as somewhat remote; Spong has changed over time.  I know of Rohr but have not read him much at all but have read other theologians and philosophers. 

thormas

1 hour ago, dkm3870 said:

Thank you for your responses.  I look forward to getting into deeper discussions and learning from "the wisdom of the crowd".  

Look forward to discussions with a 'thoughtful, logical Christian.'