CJM

CJM

This is probably a silly question, but it's something that I'm genuinely curious about:

So, growing up in a very conservative, fundamentalist Christian church, it's always been that I've associated the cross (crucifix) with that same mindset.  However, now that I'm a part of a progressive Christian community, I am starting to see things differently.  One thing I'm struggling with, however, is wearing the cross again.  In particular, I mean necklaces/pendants of the cross.  Does anyone else struggle with this same idea?  I'd like to somehow find a cross necklace that represents Progressive Christianity, but maybe I just need to "reclaim" the traditional cross?  I know, I'm splitting hairs here, but it's something I'd like to hear others' thoughts on.  Thanks so much for any insight you can share! :) 

Welcome to the forum CJM,

No struggle here with a plain cross as a necklace or pendant. Personally I haven't worn one for over 30+ years but If I had the inclination i would have no problem wearing it. To me it symbolizes to be dead to self and alive unto Christ but it seems to me it means different things to different people.  So as not to contribute to the confusion i choose not to wear it but rather let my life reflect any message it symbolizes.

Joseph

6 hours ago, CJM said:

So, growing up in a very conservative, fundamentalist Christian church, it's always been that I've associated the cross (crucifix) with that same mindset.  However, now that I'm a part of a progressive Christian community, I am starting to see things differently.  One thing I'm struggling with, however, is wearing the cross again.  In particular, I mean necklaces/pendants of the cross.  Does anyone else struggle with this same idea?  I'd like to somehow find a cross necklace that represents Progressive Christianity, but maybe I just need to "reclaim" the traditional cross?  I know, I'm splitting hairs here, but it's something I'd like to hear others' thoughts on.  Thanks so much for any insight you can share! :)

I agree with Joseph about wearing a cross if that's what you want to do and if it is meaningful for you.

I don't wear one but I have a small cross that belonged to my Father and it continues to have meaning for me.

For me, I wouldn't wear one because of my association with fundy Christianity in my childhood/adolescence either.  But if later in life I felt like wearing one, I would.  I don't mean to trivialize your concern - just encouraging you to not get hung up on what other people may associate with the symbol if it means something different to you today.  If you feel like you'd like to wear it, wear it.