Phillip Yancey

Theo-Maniac

Is Phillip Yancey considered a Conservative, Mainline, or Liberal Christian? I found a couple books of his at Barnes & Noble yesterday that I'd like to read (primarily "the Bible Jesus Read" not sure if thats the exact title though) and thought I'd get some opinions from people here before spending any money.

I think Yancey would be considered mainline by conservatives, because many conservatives have "issues" with him. He's still an editor at "Christianity Today", which I think is a conservativie evangelical magazine? (Anybody?) I wonder if Yancey would consider himself "conservative"? Either way, he's awesome!

Brian McLaren has him on his recommended reading list. I'd put him in the same category as McLaren, Campolo and Jim Wallis.

I have "Reaching for the Invisible God", "What So Amazing About Grace" and "The Jesus I Never Knew". I've only read the first one, but I absolutely loved it. My husband is reading "Grace" right now.

Philip Yancey ariticles at Christianity Today Online

I think Yancey would be considered mainline by conservatives, because many conservatives have "issues" with him. He's still an editor at "Christianity Today", which I think is a conservativie evangelical magazine? (Anybody?)

Yes, it is. Yancey's no fundamentalist, but he's definitely a conservative Evangelical. (Fellow Wheaton grad, actually. :) Class of '63 or something?)

• 1 month later...

I found Phillip Yancey's book, "What's So Amazing About Grace" to be very helpful in shedding my "rigid" upbringing. I have also read, "The Jesus I Never Knew" which opened my eyes to a broader more healthy understanding of who this "Jesus" was and how limited my heart really knew of Him. I'm still on that path to know Him and His heart for me, us and all of mankind.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Philip Yancey in many ways is hard to pin point. He is a fantastic author. In general he is an evangelical Christian but in reading his books (eg Invisible God), he quotes from many different sources (eg Roman Catholic spiritual thinkers). In one of his books I just got there is a whole section on the influence of Ghandi on the spiritual & philosophical development of Yancey. He also has written about escpaing his fundamentalist roote and the closemindedness.

He is a deep thinker and I enjoy his work. He has ticked off some evanglicals who will variously categorize him as soft on the issue of homosexuality, etc. He comes across as very supportive of diversity and seeks to understand reagrdless of his own position.

The moderate and intelligent stances have caused problems for others such as Campolo who lost bookings and other suport due to his apparent moderation and addressing AIDS issues.

But....there are extremists within the fundamentalist communities who believe it or not see James Dobson & Charles Stanley as a threat to bible believing Christianity.

North

I don't know which label he'd get.

I do know that his book "Soul Survivor" was EXCELLENT!!!!

It really helped me come to terms with the Baptist church I grew up in. I related to how he talked about coming back to the church after being hurt by it and not understanding. It also introduced and re-introduced me to the mentors in his book and gives suggestions for reading their works.

Dillo

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone - Ive just started a Philip Yancey book and I love it. Im very curious about his views on "other religions" and whether people from other faiths are with God. Although I have found numerous interviews with him on the internet, I cant seem to find anything about his thoughts on people of other faiths, and their paths to God. Any ideas?

Zaidagal

To me, Yancey is an interesting author who doesn’t fit into categories all that neatly. I admired a lot of his writing in What's so amazing about Grace. As I recall he seems on the cusp of PC in some ways, like his acceptance of gays.

Yancey said this, in an issue of Christianity Today, 2004 --"Perhaps our day calls for a new kind of ecumenical movement: not of doctrine, nor even of religious unity, but one that builds on what Jews, Christians, and Muslims hold in common....Indeed, Jews, Christians, and Muslims have much in common."

Edited by rivanna