Migration

PaulS

13 minutes ago, Burl said:

I can easily be out of date about Australia because I don’t live there.  
If one wants to discuss legality, they look at the laws. 

But still not able to back up your statement that the "US has by far the kindest & most liberal policy in the world" with any evidence?  You do The Donald proud. :)

10 hours ago, PaulS said:

I think for me what further complicates the matter is that it shouldn't just be a case of 'us and them'.  We are privileged by nothing other than birthright, others are not.  But adding to this, many other countries are disadvantaged due largely to interference from other countries, wars they never asked for, and natural tragedies such as drought and starvation.  How do you explain to a child born into misery and poverty in say Zimbabwe, that is is simply his bad luck for being born there and now he has to live with it? 

Honduras I think is a classic example where other country interference, although not solely responsible, has helped create and environment that neither you or I would want to raise our children in, so I can't blame them for wanting to get to a better place such as the US - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/19/central-america-migrants-us-foreign-policy

I wonder how people would feel about American Indians if they had said no to British illegal immigrants way back when!  

You have touched upon theodicy (evil in light of an all good and all powerful God) and it seems the response of one to those in need is boundless love - at least if that one is Jesus.

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

But still not able to back up your statement that the "US has by far the kindest & most liberal policy in the world" with any evidence?  You do The Donald proud. :)

The law is the evidence!  Prove me wrong.

9 hours ago, Burl said:

The law is the evidence!  Prove me wrong.

Not interested Burl.

If you want to make a Trumpian statement and then fail to provide support for the statement when asked  (because you can't), I can't be bothered either. 

If it is because you don't understand what other countries do in comparison to the US, just say so.  Clearly you misunderstand the Australian situation (because you don't live there but which didn't stop you making claims in the first place) - perhaps that goes for a lot more countries outside of the US for you?

3 hours ago, romansh said:

link

Indeed, I think people like Burl would be surprised what the rest of the world actually does concerning immigration & refugees, in many instances leaving the US wanting when it comes to being the 'best' in responses to them.  Not that the US is a poor performer or anything, but rather that it simply does not have, by far, the kindest & most liberal policy in the world, and if Trump had his way, things would be a lot worse.

As one not claiming the superiority of Christianity as the way to treat others in the world, how do you regard current approaches to immigration, particularly around illegal aliens, and do you think that more should be done to help those who are by far worse off in the world?

36 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Indeed, I think people like Burl would be surprised what the rest of the world actually does concerning immigration & refugees, in many instances leaving the US wanting when it comes to being the 'best' in responses to them.  Not that the US is a poor performer or anything, but rather that it simply does not have, by far, the kindest & most liberal policy in the world, and if Trump had his way, things would be a lot worse.

I am not familiar with the policies of others but the USA is indeed wanting (even more?) with Trump at the helm. Certainly not the kindest or the most liberal, I suspect.

Just now, thormas said:

I am not familiar with the policies of others but the USA is indeed wanting (even more?) with Trump at the helm. Certainly not the kindest or the most liberal, I suspect.

The policies of many, many other countries are similar to the US (e.g. concerning refugee rights if they make landfall and also for many the rights of children born to illegal aliens automatically being granted citizenship rights by birthright) to the degree that there really isn't anything outstanding in the US's approach.  However many of these countries do a lot better when it comes to per capita acceptance of immigrants and spending per capita on such issues.  Again, this doesn't make the US 'bad', just not at the peak like some patriots may blindly believe.

As for Trump, having seen how ineffective he has been I am now less concerned how badly he will impact the US and the wider world, either this term or if he should win a second and final term.  I like to look at it positively - the US and the world may suffer up to 8 years in total of Trump, but eventually he will be gone and consigned to history as likely a pretty ordinary President.

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

The policies of many, many other countries are similar to the US (e.g. concerning refugee rights if they make landfall and also for many the rights of children born to illegal aliens automatically being granted citizenship rights by birthright) to the degree that there really isn't anything outstanding in the US's approach.  However many of these countries do a lot better when it comes to per capita acceptance of immigrants and spending per capita on such issues.  Again, this doesn't make the US 'bad', just not at the peak like some patriots may blindly believe.

As for Trump, having seen how ineffective he has been I am now less concerned how badly he will impact the US and the wider world, either this term or if he should win a second and final term.  I like to look at it positively - the US and the world may suffer up to 8 years in total of Trump, but eventually he will be gone and consigned to history as likely a pretty ordinary President.

.........much less than ordinary, I suspect and hope.

4 hours ago, PaulS said:

As one not claiming the superiority of Christianity as the way to treat others in the world, how do you regard current approaches to immigration, particularly around illegal aliens, and do you think that more should be done to help those who are by far worse off in the world?

For a while I have been pondering nationality and the ilk. A brief summary here.

Another question that comes to mind here is if there are too many people for the planet to support what would our resident Progressive Christians do? Closing the borders would not be an option.

And finally it is not what Trump wants that is not Progressive Christian … it is the way that he goes about it.