An Issue troubling me. Please advise!

Seeker

I placed this comment in the wrong section (Technical Complaints) and was scolded.  The question asked was "If your were offended by the program, why did you finish the series?"  The program was the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.  The reason I finished it was, I admit, curiosity, but also fascinated horror.  I was soon offended by it and worried that a pattern in teen and young adult entertainment had reached a new low.  Is not the old proverb 'know thy enemy' not still true, and how could I make a judgment if I didn't see the whole series. For indeed, it grew progressively worse.  If this website and this forum are not the place for issues troubling progressive Christians, please advise me where else I can go.  I am not a close-minded bigot.  I am sincerely worried about what my grandchildren and all young people are watching and how it might desensitize them to Satanism--the subject of this series.  That said, here is the comment I entered in the Technical Complaints forum:

I can scarcely believe that this series is considered 15+.  It is even not fit for adults.  To begin with I'm not a fundamentalist Christian.  I am rather liberal on faith.  But this time, after watching entertainment for teens (and adults) degenerate progressively, I decided to act.  Here goes:
        I watched all the episodes of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in mounting disbelief.  The very blood curdling nature of this series seemed controversial from the beginning.  The constant stream of blasphemies against the Christian religion would have been shrugged off as just another teen horror show had it not been for the obvious pattern of parodying sacred scripture.
        Aside from the language itself that replaced such expressions as Heaven's sake with Hell's sake and Hail Satan instead of Hail Mary or Praise God and the effort to make Satanism seem innocent cutesy fun, there were the following parodies of of sacred  events: (1) A Satanic parody of the manger scene; (2) Satanic counterpart to the three wise men; a parody of the birth of Christ symbolized  by Sabrina herself; a parody of the Passion of Christ, His death, and resurrection (also portrayed by Sabrina.  After these horrors, Sabrina performed miracles in imitation of Christ, including resurrection and several other amazing feats.  Rising from the floor, as if to show her true form, she then became the archfiend, herself, and incinerated two angels, allegedly sent by the False God.  Constantly this title is used for the Christian (and, by tradition, the Judaic faith).  Angels, like God, are portrayed as evil.  Among the many things wrong with  this series, too numerous to list, was Lilith's (the principle) parody of Adam's rib, which in this case comes from her and is implanted in her own private zombie.
        There is nothing innocent or cute about this series.  Satanists are portrayed as another persecuted group, while Christianity is portrayed as a the persecutor.  This is obscene.  Throughout the series there is no effort to hide the inherent evil in this show.  Even the lame effort to show that Sabrina was merely under the spell of Lilith does not lessen Sabrina's role.  Strangely enough the writer's and producers of this epoch were more accurate with Satanic mumbo jumbo than facts about Christianity.  The Dark Lord claims that Christianity was born in Megiddo.  In the last episode in which Sabrina seemed destined to become Queen of Hell, the fear was that the Apocalypse would open the gates of Hell.  The real Doomsday Calendar that conservative Christians believe will usher in an Antichrist, False Prophet, Scarlet Woman, and End Days, is replaced by a murky, muddled Apocalypse for both witches and mortals alike, who would suffer the wrath of Satan.  No mention is made of God's wrath, for, after all, in their eyes, he is the false God.
        In the Bible it states plainly "Suffer ye not a witch."  Even by the  most liberal standard, Satanism must be considered evil--hardly the material for both youngsters and adults.  There is no such thing as a good witch or warlock.  It is bad enough that they have desensitized young people with their programming, now they make it seem as if Satanism is just another, carefree romp for teens.  If this had been a humorous satire, it would merely be blasphemous to various faiths.  Now, such programming, as typified by the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, is becoming dangerous to young minds!  
---- Seeker

Hi Seeker,

There seems to be quite a few shows that i am of the opinion are less than desirable to watch. Seems we have little control over the media except to avoid watching and hope they go away from lack of interest. Myself i watch very little TV other than the discovery channel , the history channel, and nature programs. Programs such as the one you referenced don't get my attention. Life is too short for me to watch what i might consider garbage and in my view it is best to not allow oneself to be bothered by such things that we are given little control over.

Peace, Joseph

3 hours ago, Seeker said:

It was worse than mere garbage.  Very well then....I don't think this is the forum for me!  

----Seeker

Seeker,

This forum is a lot broader and has a lot more to offer than simply whether people agree with you or not on a particular fictional TV series, but if you only want agreement with your views then yes, perhaps this forum isn't for you.  That said, if you are open to other opinions and genuine discussion/debate, then there is a lot to be gained from hearing other views I think.

I've never watched the show myself and don't have much interest, but from what you have described it would seem the creators have deliberately modeled their show in a lazy fashion simply for popularity and publicity.  Satanism isn't usually about the exact opposite to Christianity and it seems the producers have just chosen an easy road to push out a TV series easily swallowed by the general public for entertainment.  Most western societies have at least a general understanding of Christianity so this show is probably easy for many to relate to which is what the producers want.

And as much as you abhor the show, it seems the creators have managed to get you to watch the whole series and raise discussion about it!  I am reminded of the saying "There is no such thing as bad publicity."  It seems the creators have you doing exactly what they want you to do - talk about the show and get more people watching it!

Perhaps it's a cultural thing (I live in Australia) but I don't see kids rushing out to practice Satanism based on the TV show.  Maybe I'm giving our kids too much credit, but I tend to think that the majority of Australian kids these days see this type of show as entirely fictional and don't think there is much merit in summoning demons or gods.  I'm sure there will be some that dabble, but I suspect they are by far a minority.

I do note that you think it's obscene that the show portrays Satanists as another persecuted group while Christianity is portrayed as a the persecutor, but then go on to point out that Christianity states plainly "Suffer ye not a witch" and you say that even by the  most liberal standard, Satanism must be considered evil....that there is no such thing as a good witch or warlock.  You seem to be reinforcing the views of the show.  I don't know - maybe the concerns about Satanism are a lot more dramatic in America than they are here for me.

Whatever the case, I think the best way to vote against something is with your choices - i.e. don't watch the show!  But that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Paul

On 4/11/2019 at 5:53 PM, Seeker said:

It was worse than mere garbage.  Very well then....I don't think this is the forum for me!  

----Seeker

Seeker,

Sorry if i offended you. Your post seemed to be looking for advice on an issue that was troubling you. I was just offering mine.  There is no need to take it as the official opinion or view of the forum. I thought i made that clear in my post as i was only speaking for myself with words such as ... ("in my view" / "i am of the opinion" / "for me" / "Myself").  Anyway, wishing you the best on whatever you decide.

Joseph

On 4/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Seeker said:

----Seeker

Well Seeker, it would appear you were seeking an opinion that reflected yours.

I hope you find a place that reflects your opinion, if that is truly what you want. To me that would be an anathema