Objective or Not?

JosephM

• JosephM changed the title to Objective or Not?

If by objective you mean "(of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts", then I would say not because personal feelings and opinions are precisely what determine our morals and religions, I would suggest.  I think religions develop in response to culture and society which in itself is determined through the opinions and feelings of its participants.  I would go so far to say that I don't think you can even have a morality that is objective by definition.

This is an interesting one. I take objective to either mean obvious and verifiable by evidence or 'a universal truth.' 

So, I don't think of moral and religious documents as objective that can be proven scientifically but I do allow that there might be or they might contain universal truths that are recognized as not merely created by the individual but having a 'reality' of their own and thus able to be discovered by men and women (as some have and 'documented'). 

Seemingly, on this site, we have discussed some things* that seem to be recognized across religions and even by non-religious (I won't go into detail because I lack the time to research the many posts). So too, even something as 'simple' as the 10 Commandments seem to have a reality that is discoverable and recognized by men and women (beyond Judaism and Christianity): that it is not right to steal, lie, kill, covet the possessions or spouse of another, etc. 

For one who says these things are perfectly okay and just a matter of opinion, many would state they are wrong and either don't recognize such truth or lack the ability to live it (a bit controversial, I know). A further elaboration would be that they simply have not (yet) or are unable to recognize such universal truths. 

Some of the things* we have discussed include oneness and love and, similarly, one could argue that these touch on universal (and objective - in that they are not merely the whim of the individual) truths, that are there to be recognized.  

On October 13, 2018 at 9:10 AM, JosephM said:
Can any moral or religious document be objective in the values it presents? Please explain. 

Darwin's "On the Origins of Species" might qualify.  Its values of supremacy/inferiority and eugenics as a social good are disputable but objective.

17 hours ago, thormas said:

This is an interesting one. I take objective to either mean obvious and verifiable by evidence or 'a universal truth.' 

So, I don't think of moral and religious documents as objective that can be proven scientifically but I do allow that there might be or they might contain universal truths that are recognized as not merely created by the individual but having a 'reality' of their own and thus able to be discovered by men and women (as some have and 'documented'). 

Snip

I really like this statement of yours.

Joseph