Christian friendly heathen here looking to improve relations.

MarkD

Hello from Berkeley, California.  I'm interested in religion but I'm not religious.  Is that cool?

For me the question isn't do I believe in God but rather, what is it which has made God belief so compelling for so many people nearly everywhere people have lived and for about as long as we've been recognizably human.  For me the mystery of God is centered in human consciousness, the same place we find our sense of self and personal identity.  Understood as a natural phenomenon within consciousness but divorced of any role in the creation of either the cosmos or of life on this planet, I have no problem with the concept.  It is only as something 'out there' but supernatural that I have to admit to being an atheist.

Anyhow I'm all for extending ecumenism not only to other religions but to the nonreligious as well. I don't think either believers or doubters are going extinct any time soon.  So my interest is on improving relations and making the world work for everyone.  

This is my first time here so I'll do some looking around now.  Maybe I'll see you around.

Thank you for the welcome, thomas, but if you mean that book that appears between my two posts, I have no idea where that came from or why it is there.  I know nothing about that.

Edited by MarkD

41 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Thank you for the welcome, thomas, but if you mean that book that appears between my two posts, I have no idea where that came from or why it is there.  I know nothing about that.

The Sparrow and Children of God, both novels by Mary Doria Russell

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JosephM said:

Welcome Mark,

Not religious.... yes that is cool. Welcome to the forum of progressive Christianity that welcomes all ideas and opinions that are expressed as such in a respectful way.

Joseph

Thanks, Joseph.  Sorry to see how little traffic there seems to be here.  I guess progressive doesn't sell as well as fundamentalism with a leavening of fire and brimstone.  Oh well.

10 hours ago, MarkD said:

Thanks, Joseph.  Sorry to see how little traffic there seems to be here.  I guess progressive doesn't sell as well as fundamentalism with a leavening of fire and brimstone.  Oh well.

I guess we forgot we were suppose to  to sell something. ? About 9 active members last month some months  as high as 14-21 . Mostly people use our database for research purposes. I think people outgrow us and others seem to flock to Facebook and other social media or religious forums where members are allowed to  get more  heated in debate and nasty to each other in their posts. .Guest visits average between 5 and 10 at any time with as high as 90 or more  in a 15 min period

1 hour ago, MarkD said:

You'd think people would have more interest in the big questions even without a Jerry Springer circus going on.

The interest is there Mark (although I too wish more were actively involved). Review some of the recent posts under Debate & Dialogue and join; give your opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 1:49 AM, MarkD said:

Hello from Berkeley, California.  I'm interested in religion but I'm not religious.  Is that cool?

Completely cool Mark D and welcome to the forum.  As Joseph mentions, anybody who wishes to participate here in a respectful approach towards all others, is welcome.

.... I have no problem with the concept.  

My only hangup with the concept is when it is considered the sole truth to the world and people indoctrinate their children and put fear into their hearts.  But secular people can be guilty of similar behaviours in other ways too, so I guess I can't say it's only a religious problem.

So my interest is on improving relations and making the world work for everyone.

A terrific ideal and one which I think can only help make the world a better place for future generations.  Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy participating here.

Cheers

Paul