Greetings from new member

SupernalLight

Hello, everyone.

I am joining this community in the hope of enjoying the virtual company of other people with whom I may share something in common even in the midst of our differences.

A little about myself: I was not raised with religion, but was introduced to a branch of Oneness Pentecostalism through my grandparents at ten years old.  There I had a transformative ecstatic experience as a boy, but by the time I was 14 I knew through the reading of the scriptures that they could not be the infallible Word of God in the sense in which I was taught.  I moved on to other things.

After transitioning to agnostic atheism I read Spong's Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible Through Jewish Eyes, and biblical imagery came alive for me.  At the same time I had been introduced to the eucharist in the Methodist Church and one day integrated the experience in my own way.

Later I received a trinitarian baptism in the Episcopal Church, was confirmed, and received Holy Communion.  I have been there for about ten years or so.

In practice I am an Anglo-Catholic.  I am liturgically quite traditional.  I am a non-realist in religious matters, using doctrines as a guide to how to live and as symbol sets to engage my imagination with rather than objective or supernatural truths -- I am still an agnostic.

I have neo-pagan influences and work with saints and angels traditional and non-traditional in an Anglo-Catholic context as well as formats inspired by neo-pagan and folk practices.  I create my own rituals and write my own prayers.  I also keep the traditional Anglican discipline of the Daily Office.  I have Buddhist influences as well.

I guess I could say I am a religious non-realist, Anglo-Catholic, liturgically traditional, eclectic, and socially sensitive Christian.

I hope this will be the place to share my ideas and path with others.  I have had a hard time finding that place.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SupernalLight said:

Hello, everyone.

I am joining this community in the hope of enjoying the virtual company of other people with whom I may share something in common even in the midst of our differences.

A little about myself: I was not raised with religion, but was introduced to a branch of Oneness Pentecostalism through my grandparents at ten years old.  There I had a transformative ecstatic experience as a boy, but by the time I was 14 I knew through the reading of the scriptures that they could not be the infallible Word of God in the sense in which I was taught.  I moved on to other things.

After transitioning to agnostic atheism I read Spong's Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible Through Jewish Eyes, and biblical imagery came alive for me.  At the same time I had been introduced to the eucharist in the Methodist Church and one day integrated the experience in my own way.

Later I received a trinitarian baptism in the Episcopal Church, was confirmed, and received Holy Communion.  I have been there for about ten years or so.

In practice I am an Anglo-Catholic.  I am liturgically quite traditional.  I am a non-realist in religious matters, using doctrines as a guide to how to live and as symbol sets to engage my imagination with rather than objective or supernatural truths -- I am still an agnostic.

I have neo-pagan influences and work with saints and angels traditional and non-traditional in an Anglo-Catholic context as well as formats inspired by neo-pagan and folk practices.  I create my own rituals and write my own prayers.  I also keep the traditional Anglican discipline of the Daily Office.  I have Buddhist influences as well.

I guess I could say I am a religious non-realist, Anglo-Catholic, liturgically traditional, eclectic, and socially sensitive Christian.

I hope this will be the place to share my ideas and path with others.  I have had a hard time finding that place.

Welcome ...  SL 

As you shared your influences, I feel emboldened to share mine.  The universe has made me what I am. :)

On 24/03/2018 at 7:55 PM, SupernalLight said:

Hello, everyone.

Welcome, I to have just come back to this forum. Let's hope it becomes home for both of us. 

Shalom

Terry