A Growing Trend

tariki

In my own neck of the woods there is a growing trend. For a Humanist Funeral Service.

The days of "wear something black", of some member of the clergy who never knew the deceased speaking of "the resurrection and the life" and calling all to prayer; of the embarrassing low drone as a couple of hymns are sung.........well, perhaps I give the game away when it comes to my own bias!

Instead we have "please wear something pink" - for instance - ( because of support for the breast cancer charity ), the beat of Chris Rea as the throng walk in, perhaps Bob Dylan or Frank Sinatra as they walk out. And between, a resume of the life lived, sometimes spoken by one who knew and loved the one now gone.....deceased......passed over....is no more ( whatever ) Maybe a favorite poem or two that encourages not grief, but perhaps hope, fond memories and community.

I have been to a few now. A growing trend. One poignant moment stays with me, of the partner of the now gone (after 60 years of sharing their life) walking across to the coffin, kissing it and touching it with love.

Yes, I must make sure others know my own preferences....

Tariki,

I have been to couple of such services in the last few years and have actually enjoyed celebrating the life of the deceased with a group of like minded friends and family. It is so much more uplifting to acknowledge death as a fact of life but to go on to enjoy and remember what that person made of it whilst they were alive. We all have to die eventually, as billions have done before us, there's nothing that special about dying really. But how nice to reflect on the high points and celebrate who that person was. The type of service I am used to pales in comparison and simply makes everybody miserable.

As an aside, I watched a movie the other day called 'Captain Fantastic' that centred around a family who were raising their children in the wilderness when the mother died in hospital. The widower and his children were told to stay away from the funeral service by the deceased's father who wanted a traditional, Christian funeral for his child. However the husband knew his wife had been a buddhist and had desired to be cremated and her life celebrated, rather than buried after a morbid religious service. Anyway, the movie was quite interesting and without giving too much away, a beautiful funeral was held that made me choke up a little. Oh how I would love a finish like that!

Edited by PaulS
  • Upvote 1

As an aside, I watched a movie the other day called 'Captain Fantastic' that centred around a family who were raising their children in the wilderness when the mother died in hospital. The widower and his children were told to stay away from the funeral service by the deceased's father who wanted a traditional, Christian funeral for his child. However the husband knew his wife had been a buddhist and had desired to be cremated and her life celebrated, rather than buried after a morbid religious service. Anyway, the movie was quite interesting and without giving too much away, a beautiful funeral was held that made me choke up a little. Oh how I would love a finish like that!

Looks like a good film, never heard of it before. The usual mixed reviews on the Amazon site. Thanks.

It would be nice for my death to celebrated in some way that reflects my life.

I suppose people would have to attend with a squash racquet in one hand and a drink in the other and spout philosophical nonsense all afternoon (and evening if it is a good wake).

If they did it would mean my life had some effect and if they didn't it would mean my life did not have the effect that I currently had confabulated a hope for.

Either way it is fine.

• Upvote 1

I feel the funeral is for the people who attend so why not make it festive. In India they have a parade and everyone is singing as they carry the body to the river then the people close to the dead wash the body before putting it on pyre. They send the person off with joy, laughter and singing. I like that too.

I have both observed and partaken in balloon-release ceremonies (wedding and funeral). Whilst it is a beautiful gesture/exercise, it is so wasteful and damaging to the environment (where does the waste end up?). I hope we can find better ways because the earth simply can't cope with balloons being released at every funeral (+150,000 people die each day).

I have both observed and partaken in balloon-release ceremonies (wedding and funeral). Whilst it is a beautiful gesture/exercise, it is so wasteful and damaging to the environment (where does the waste end up?). I hope we can find better ways because the earth simply can't cope with balloons being released at every funeral (+150,000 people die each day).

Waste of perfectly good energy to make the helium.

Also the released balloon always makes me sad. Its all a fad ... :-)

I was thinking maybe the Balloon Release Ceremony could be adapted for my own Funeral. A balloon could be inflated with some form of hot air but left untied. It could then be released to whiz randomly around the attendees with an annoying whine, before finally totally deflating in some corner of the room. During which, all could be asked to remember my contribution to the world and my effect upon their lives. To be honest, the possibilities are endless.

:)

I love that idea! Great to see folk at peace with dying (as we all do).

I have always thought that a coffin is such a waste of money. Other than the need to carry a body, I see absolutely no sense in going to a huge expense and wasting all that energy and material. Much better to do like these folk or even go some sort of disposable cardboard option.

I love that idea! Great to see folk at peace with dying (as we all do).

I have always thought that a coffin is such a waste of money. Other than the need to carry a body, I see absolutely no sense in going to a huge expense and wasting all that energy and material. Much better to do like these folk or even go some sort of disposable cardboard option.

http://www.capsulamundi.it/en/