Hi From Central Europe

Bingle

Just to introduce myself. I am British, though having lived away in many different cultures for over twenty years. The last ten I have spent in the Czech Republic. Back in the UK I once had a strong Christian faith based in the Anglican church, I guess the more evangelical wing. I drifted away because I kept stumbling intellectually and practically with how so many of the claims of 'truth' I came across just didn't add up. Although my spirituality didn't go away I found I agreed with much of what strongly anti-religious people said. I didn't really make much effort to explore further and kind of shut that part of my life down. I am delighted to discover progressive Christianity as I feel I have an opportunity to develop a faith that makes sense to me and which I can live fully. But I am just beginning.

I am looking forward to being involved here and thanks to everyone who runs this site.

B.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Bingle,

I wish I had known about progressive Christianity all those years ago when I abandoned my faith for similiar reasons you touch on - it might have saved me a lot of grief and angst. I'm glad you've found this forum and I look forward to your participation here.

Cheers

Paul

Greetings Bingle,

So glad to hear you have started a journey that is more meaningful to you. You are not alone in your findings. Doctrine and dogma is simply not a goal of most Progressive Christians as to me PCers seem to prefer to live more with uncertainties and discovering truth for themselves than in blind acceptance of passed down rhetoric concerning the things of the spirit. It seems to me that Truth resides in each one of us and is simply awaiting remembrance. Perhaps that is what was meant when it was recorded in 1 John 2:20 "but you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth" and 1 John 2:27 "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth"

May you be blessed with clarity in your journey.

Joseph

Thank you both Paul and Joseph for your welcoming replies. I am busy reading around, thinking and meditating on this new direction I am taking. Certainly this site is very helpful for providing information and food for thought. Starting with the sermon on the mount I feel there is enough there for a whole lifetime of reflection. I am also realising that with this new focus I have much in common with friends who follow other religious paths and that concentrating on the core messages of Jesus give me a sense of membership of a wider human spiritual humanity. Wishing a peaceful new year to all.

B.

Bingle, I think You were being guided no matter where you were in faith, custom or culture. I really liked your last post that the deeper you go in Christianity the closer you come to all faiths. We can run around on the circumference of the circle as long as we want and sooner or later we decide to go towards the center and sometimes choose to go back to the surface and it is all good because like Joseph we are perfect and learn where we are at. Happy New year.....................I am visiting my sons in Las Vegas.