R U A "liberal Like Christ" ?

Rayosun

Well, what if I'm neither liberal nor conservative? What if I'm neither "right wing" nor "left wing"? What if I'm just a broken hearted misfit? Do I still have hope of being "like Christ"?

"'Liberal' can be applied to a range of Christians from those with a strong sense of the reality of God and a deep commitment to the Christian tradition to advocates of a nontheistic Christianity for whom "tradition" is a negative term. Thus, "conservative" and "liberal" don't tell us very much... Moreover, there is much about the emerging way of being Christian that is conservative and traditional..."

--Marcus Borg, The Heart of Christianity, pg. 2. Harper Collins, 2003.

I also have problems with the dichotomy of liberal & conservative when it comes to Christians. I commend to you all the great book by Jim Wallis, The Soul of Politics: Beyond Religious Right & Secular Left." I'd love to read your respective thoughts on the ideas put forth by this text.

As I re-read my post, it may have come across harsher than I intended... In many ways, your site makes a LOT of great points regarding the notion of the "religius right" and the Republican party being necessarily "Christian". This is why we end up with presidents and senators who feel it is necessary (even Christian?) to bomb the hell out of the middle-east. I see a lot of potential for disaster with this kind of thinking as it tends to be dangerous. I'm just not sure that going to the other extreme solves the problem. I'm sorry, I should have commended you for your focus on tolerance and peace and love and Christian ethics before stating what I disagreed with. I still think very much, tho, that we have to transcend liberalism and conservatism.

To be sure, Jesus was a radical and I maintain that the way of life which Jesus called us to follow is highly radical and mows over both conservative and liberal sacred cows.