Music Of The Sacred Community

glintofpewter

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b51b9cf441b059bb232418480&id=5b2841d1e8&e=ae84790f18

The recent PC ebulletin raises an issue that often in the back of my mind. If the music in church is not aesthetically uplifting or you no longer attend church where or how do you meet the aesthetic need?

Dutch

a quote that speaks to my experience and struggle.

I believe any truly spiritual path must understand its main function is to provide the opportunity to experience genuine Unity, or a Oneness with all Creation. There are many ways to say the same thing but every church, religious, or spiritual gathering is trying to help the attendee experience that Oneness. I am convinced one of the places we can do that is with music. ... But go into a typical church today with sixty members and listen to them try and experience Oneness or sense of Connectedness as they stumble through a difficult hymn or unacceptable theology. At some point in that experience, most people are just hoping for the hymn to be over.

I guess I meet my aesthetic need (although I've never thought of it as that - a need) through nature and community. Sometimes when I'm sitting with friends I feel connection and appreciation, often when I'm out sailing or driving past the ocean I feel a sort of 'oneness'. I particular feel oneness when I'm out camping in the middle of nowhere!

I agree with Paul in that nature is a healing balm that brings be to that communion of unity. Hanging out, playing basketball, serving others, reading philosophy and science also alters my consciousness. I have a music collection I labled music for meditation, but I like that music all the time.