Images Of Original Biblical Texts?

buck

Hi Buck,

Welcome to the forum.

There are no known original texts of the bible. I think the Dead Sea Scolls are attributed as the oldest OT docs and you can view them here: http://dss.collections.imj.org.il

As for the NT, I think (but I could be wrong) that there are a couple of sources attributed as the oldest copies of the NT (again, there are no known originals), the Codex Sinaiticus being one of them. You can view the digitally here: http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. I had no idea those resources existed.

Do you happen to know if a similar resource exists for the Torah? I have been able to find versions of the Torah formatted for the web, but I would very much like to see original scans of the earliest known manuscript.

Thank you for those valuable resources.

Buck

The Dead Sea Scrolls are the oldest known copies of anything from the Hebrew Bible, including parts of the Torah (what Christians may refer to as the first 5 books of the OT).

There apparently was a scroll rediscovered in a Bolgona university last May that has apparently been dated to about 1200CE, which would make it the oldest known copy of the Torah, but I don't think it is available for online viewing. I'm not really sure what/where is regarded as the oldest known stand-alone version of the Torah otherwise.

Edited by PaulS

Hello Buck,

I think that the Leningrad Codex is the oldest complete text of the Tanakh in existence. It is dated 1008 CE (the date on the cover). The Aleppo Codex is earlier by a few years, but is not complete. It was partially destroyed in a fire in 1947.

The Aleppo Codex was used as a reference by Maimonides when he was writing his portion of the Talmud.

As far as I know, there are no complete New Testament manuscripts in existence.

NORM