Knowing That Your Religion Or Belief System Is True

Hornet

Hornet,

I do not need to know that my religion or belief system is true. I shed that requirement some time ago.

In my view, 'belief systems' are just that...belief systems. They are not truths. To me, they are merely man's vain attempt at truth to answer questions concerning life and the nature of things. To me, God is not a belief system but rather an ever-present reality that i experience. There is no need for words to describe that reality but of course that doesn't stop one from trying to communicate such in words to point to that reality.

Joseph

I think religion is a means to an end that end being an experience of the Divine. My own belief system has evolved as I participate in rituals and disciplines and as I acquire self-knowledge.

Having a relationship with God is important. Some people go through the motions of participating in rituals or church activities without having any sort of love or affection for God.

Hornet,

I do not need to know that my religion or belief system is true. I shed that requirement some time ago.

In my view, 'belief systems' are just that...belief systems. They are not truths. To me, they are merely man's vain attempt at truth to answer questions concerning life and the nature of things. To me, God is not a belief system but rather an ever-present reality that i experience. There is no need for words to describe that reality but of course that doesn't stop one from trying to communicate such in words to point to that reality.

Joseph

Do you believe that when it comes to religious beliefs a person should just go with whatever he thinks works for him?

Do you believe that when it comes to religious beliefs a person should just go with whatever he thinks works for him?

Hornet,

I don't believe for other people. Nor do i have an opinion on what they should or shouldn't go with . In my view, each must journey that road for themself and if i can offer some insight of benefit along the way, that is good. If not the universe is most capable of offering its own insight.

Just a position i often take and find a measure of peace in,

Joseph

This is a great question. I don't know or care if my belief system is true. I feel belief is just the soul talking with the self focusing the mind so like a conversation it changes with the situation. A life blossoms and blows in the wind like the flowers on a Cherry tree and then they drop. Will it drop in the right place? Yes, because it is really not going down or dropping just continuing the conversation.

If someone asked you, "How do you know that your religion or belief system is true?", how would you respond?

I would respond to them that religion does not require "ultimate truth" to be of value. Only that their faith journey is true to themselves and their circumstances at that point in their lives.

NORM

I think that’s an excellent question, Hornet. Just on the fly, I would say that if the practice of one’s religion or spiritual tradition is transformative, and it allows a person to transcend the world, then there is truth in it.

Peace.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kinda of go with each person finds the belief system that is right for them. For me religion is just the road a person takes to try to achieve enlightenment, live morally, or relate to the divine. Belief systems have a purpose for the individual. What may be right for one may not be right for another. I personally do not believe in a God that only relates to one belief system, but that is just about me and my belief system. There are some lovely people from many belief systems and I think it would be a petty God who could not see the love an individual has because they are blinded to all but one single belief system. I am a Christian but I hope to meet Gandhi one fine day.

Edited by Pete