Door To Door

The Rhino

I felt a bit bad today for fobbing off some Christian missionary's today. Well I told them I was christian, thanked them and shut the door, so I wasn't rude, just short, I am moving you see and times are stressful. But it must be very hard for missionaries as well, I usually like to make time for door to door people. I did say a prayer to keep them safe.

What are other people's reactions when this happens to them.

R

Most of time it is JW with a watch tower pamphet to give out. I admire their tenacity for missionary work and they always seem polite to me. I will usually thank them for stopping and tell them i am familiar with their doctrine. If i have time i will invite them in , allow them to share and then share with them my view. They usually thank me and give me a phamplet and i give them one i wrote.

Joseph

For me it's mostly JWs and Mormons and it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm busy like you we're Rhino, I fob them off straight away. I tell them I have my beliefs and am comfortable with them, I wish them all the best and send them down the road.

If I am not in a rush and its convenient, I may have a chat or discussion with them.

After all, they're knocking on your door and don't know how they may be interfering with your life. To their credit they have always accepted any brush off with a smile. Probably like door to door salesman, they know their 'hit' ratio is very poor.

My new thing is to accept what happens because I will never figure it out. In this practice, which I think is Christian forgive, forget and accept, I am becomming united with the Buddhist in the present moment. Opening the door, accepting the chemical reaction of molecules and then closing the door all in one moment. It is ironic that the JWs and the Mormons are turning me into a Christian Buddhist.

• 3 weeks later...

I especially like the Mormon missionary boys that they send to our town. They always offer to help when they walk by and see me trying to carry something heavy from the car. :) I live across the street from JWs and next door to Mormons. It is funny because neither ever try to proselytize to the neighbors. They must have some code that neighbors are off limits.

Jaia

• 3 weeks later...

The Mormons are the most polite. Ive been in conversation with some missionaries but have been avoiding their calls as I don't have time to talk. I feel badly about that. I really should have them over. They always invite me to a service, too. I really admire their purity and faith. I read through the Book of Mormon at their request and prayed as they asked me to. When they asked me if I thought it was true I didn't know how to answer them. Well, yes, I said, I think it's true (being that most of it seemed lifted from the Bible) and I think that it is possible that it all happened the way it reads. Anything is possible. But did I think it showed that the Mormon Church was the true church. I said no. They are persistent too in wanting to meet but not pushy.

I am a bit put off by Jehovah's Witnesses (luckily I live in a condo apartment with no way for anyone to knock on the door) as there is too much talk about eternal damnation.

I also find Quakers to be very centered, like zen monks without any romanticized notion that they are so perfect. There is a spiritual grounding I sense that I "gulp" envy. The same for the Orthodox Christians. At least the ones I've met.