Hello Via The Bible Belt

CDWolfe

Greetings to all! I have been following the writings and interviews of John Spong (and others) for a while, and at the age of 38, I have redefined my beliefs about Christianity, the Bible, etc. I was raised as a Southern Baptist on the KJV, but have since progressed into more of a "Christian Deism" philosophical viewpoint. I am an avid researcher, historian, and analytical thinker, so as I go through the English translations of the Bible, I keep an open mind backed by a keen understanding that the autographs were written during a time when very little was known about astronomy, physics, biology, geology, etc.

I do believe in God. He is the supreme being and creator, who "pushed the start button."

I do not believe in Satan as the devil. An angel or servant of God, beholden to His bidding, yes. Public Enemy #1, no.

I do believe in free will of mankind, and everything happens because of a choice that is made by someone, past or present.

• Upvote 1

I do believe in free will of mankind, and everything happens because of a choice that is made by someone, past or present.

Welcome CD

Just curious though ... when you say mankind ... do you mean man collectively or individually?

rom

Welcome to a Forum which always makes me think. It is amazing how many Progressive Christians came, as Spong through the evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity route in their spiritual journey to Progressive Christianity. I am a deist who sees aspects of panentheism, paganism, Sufi path, and a whole lot of other spiritual paths in my search for God. The Episcopal Church is my main spiritual home.

Kay