Hello From Idaho

Teddi

I"m very excited to have found Bishop Spong. I"ve been exploring his website and found your boards. I"m a 49 year old single parent who was raised Presbyterian. My most favorite memories are when my maternal grandmother and I would attend church on Sundays. I eventually walked away when I began to dislike the hypocrisy I saw and the judgement from other members of the church. Now my 16 year old son is finding his way in this world and immediately has decided there is no God. I've never spoken poorly of faith or God and have told him that he has yet to have enough life experience to make that type of statement. I've tried to explain the difference between organized religion and spirituality. I"m definitely sharing this site and the Bishop's words with my son..they have touched a long dormant portion of my soul and I would love for my son to understand the beauty and peacefulness associated with engaging with one's higher power. Thank you for having this site here.

Teddi Stearns

Nampa Idaho

• Upvote 1

Teddi,

Welcome to the community.

Parenting seems to me sometimes a most difficult task when it comes to spirituality and children. I think your life as an example will in the end speak to your children louder than any words you could say. True Love to me is irresistible. And when one is ready one comes running towards it. Good to hear you are enjoying Spong's teachings.

Again welcome,

Joseph

Welcome Teddi,

My 8yr old son attends a relatively passive Anglican (episcopal) school and has already decided God and Jesus are not real. Funnily, I don't want him to be exposed or be encouraged at all by evangelical, fundamental Christianity, but I don't want him to write off spirituality altogether either!

I guess his own life experiences will talk to him as he goes along.

I hope you enjoy participating here.

Cheers

Paul

Teddi welcome. My two sons are grown. I don't really initiate any conversations on spiritual matters,but I do witness their actions. Sometimes it just happens and a philosophical discussion occurs. They go through the valleys, hill tops, sarcasm, service, know everything and confusion. It only reminds me that everything is perfect. The problems are perfect when witnessed and perfect when not, life is such a good teacher because it seems to be God itself. I respect you for being a single parent again God in action.

Welcome Teddi,

I'm rather new also. There is a huge difference between organized religion and spirituality as you know. I'm sure your son will go through changes over the years like all of us. This would be a great place for your son.