A Superman Fan From Illinois

chado

I couldn't help myself. I wanted a clever title and after writing an extended 'about me' page in my profile I thought it would be best to introduce myself with an excerpt.

My recent thoughts have been about Superman, a childhood hero. As I thought about him as hero figure recently I began to think about how it was his character - not his superpowers that I'd grown to admire. Then a friend of my posted an article on facebook. The author of the article was writing about how she wrestled with / against a theistic understanding of God. As someone with a B.A. in English I always get excited when I have to look up a word to make sure I understand what someone is saying. She referenced John Shelby Spong's book "Jesus for the Non-Religious." I devoured the book. Found this website and I'm currently working my way through "Re-Claiming the Bible for a Non-Religious World."

I've been excited to chat with my wife a bit about what I've been reading and after lurking on the forums for a couple days I thought it would be great fun to chat with all of you.

• Upvote 1

Chado,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your so far thoughtful posts. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Spong books and i am looking forward to the sharing of your thoughts and ideas. I especially admire the way (in another post) you handle those of different beliefs and find the way they behave and are motivated more important than their words alone.

Again welcome,

Joseph