Another Fear. Holy Spirit Blasphemy

The Rhino

I have had this fear for some time now, ever since I read it in the bible. On that day I frantically asked two people close to me what it meant. They told me what she thought it meant and I said "but what would you actually have to say?!" It is that franticly fear driven sentance that I regret more than anything else I have ever said in my life.

Since this time I have read into the matter and found that even fundamentalists don't take this passage literally, but my question is why? Blasphemy is always easy to do against god or jesus, it can be as simple as using someone's name in vein. Why then is this different?

Yours fearfully

Rhino

Edited by The Rhino

Most children say to their parents at some time or another - "I wish you were dead", "I hate you", "I wish I wasn't your child", etc.

I doubt that ever stops that parent from loving their child!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this fear for some time now, ever since I read it in the bible. On that day I frantically asked two people close to me what it meant. They told me what she thought it meant and I said "but what would you actually have to say?!" It is that franticly fear driven sentance that I regret more than anything else I have ever said in my life.

Since this time I have read into the matter and found that even fundamentalists don't take this passage literally, but my question is why? Blasphemy is always easy to do against god or jesus, it can be as simple as using someone's name in vein. Why then is this different?

Yours fearfully

Rhino

In another post you expressed fear that you might be missing something by having doubts concerning the reliability of the Bible.

I can only tell you what I think about that. This is something that one must determine for his or her self.

Consider this: Why would an "infallible" deity trust life and death decisions (of the immortal kind) to the vagaries of the printed word? The Bible is a collection of religious and philosophic human ramblings compiled over a roughly 2,000 year time period. There are contradictions upon contradictions - even within one particular linguistic translation! Imagine the Asian Bible reader who has no concept within his or her language of a disembodied spirit as the Bible appears to posit? How are they to come to a so-called "saving knowledge" of the message of Christ, as the fundamentalist is fond of saying.

As for those who claim the Bible is the literal Word of G-d; do we really think that they obey every command and exhortation contained within those leather covers? I have yet to come to the outskirts of any city in America or the rest of the world where the bodies of rebellious children litter the ground along the borders (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).

Fear and guilt are the tools of those who wish to keep humanity in line with their own way of thinking.

As far as the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? Again; why would G-d do that? A curse of eternal torment for questioning authority sounds all to human inspired to me.

Welcome to Progressive Christianity Forum.

Fear not!

NORM

• 1 month later...

Yours fearfully

Rhino

I think no one takes this passage too seriously because no one really knows what it means! I asked the same question many years ago, and never really got an answer that completely satisfied the question. BUT since you read something in the Bible that caused you to fear, perhaps it would be better to read something from the Bible that encourages you not to fear.

I wouldn’t normally make such a recommendation because it seems rather odd for ME to be quoting the Bible. (LOL) but in this case it seems appropriate.

“For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear…” (Partial) Romans 8:15

My personal belief is...IF there is a Creator God that is infinite, all-powerful, and all-knowing, then what could I (finite and limited) ever do that could ever be considered a “sin” against such a being? It’s simply NOT possible! To think otherwise is conceit; to put myself on the same level as an almighty God.

• Upvote 1

The OT patriarchs were known at times to argue with God, wrestle with God, and even display anger towards God. Strangely he did not hit them with a lightning bolt. The blasphemy concept in my mind is an OT carry over that was punishable by death in the time of Christ.

As to the legitimacy of its inclusion in the text and literalness...writing a NT book would be like me trying to chronicle an exact account of the things I did in the 2nd grade with accuracy. And that is from my first person perspective, in many cases we did not even have that...not to mention copy errors, etc.

Personally, I think you are safe in questioning God's existence and the existence of his "Spirit" in your journey. Even Mother Teresa had those moments.