Greetings From Conservative Country!

BoundSacrifice

Hello everybody! I'll choose to keep my state undisclosed for privacy, but I'm from the Bible Belt. I'd never heard of progressive Christianity until a few months ago during a talk with my Old Testament Prophecy professor. She referred me to Marcus J. Borg, a progressive Christian scholar whom I'm sure many of you are familiar with. I'd been a Christian for the first decade and a half of my life, but since that time was an Atheist. All of the theology I'd ever heard was the 'Believe now for the sake of heaven later" theology. I've always loved the community of Christianity, but the harsh doctrines of conservative theology were too much for me. It's a huge understatement to say that I feel like Progressive Christianity is where I was meant to be.

My beliefs about God are panentheistic and rather Buddhist in nature - I don't believe God is a humanlike being "out there", but rather that God is a state of reality that we all exist and move in, and we are shot through with God's presence. I'm not sure on where I stand about the Resurrection, but I do follow Jesus' teachings as closely as I can. I am a Universalist and my theology is rather liberal. Anyway, nice to meet you all! I'm off to work now. :)

• Upvote 1

Nice to meet you boundsacrifice! I also live in the Bible belt, and I have the same feelings as you about belonging here, and about feeling oppressed by traditional ideology. I think you are probably a lot more intellectual than I am (since you used the word panentheistic!), but I don't think that will stop us from sharing and learning a lot from each other. Look forward to talking with you.