What Is A Christian?

Jay

Hi Jay,

For many of us who use the label PC , point one of the 8 points says it well...... we mean that we are Christians who....

Have found an approach to God through the life and teachings of Jesus.

Having said that, in general, on this site, we do not define the label for others in any more specific beliefs or dogma other than pretty much as has been said so far by the posts in this thread.

Joseph

A Christian is merely someone who follows the teachings of Jesus. What it means to follow Jesus is open for debate but with over 35,000 denominations of Christianity in existence, it's impossible for anyone to dogmatically assert who is a real Christian and who isn't.

Thank you for your thoughtful answer!

Hi Jay,

For many of us who use the label PC , point one of the 8 points says it well...... we mean that we are Christians who....

Have found an approach to God through the life and teachings of Jesus.

Having said that, in general, on this site, we do not define the label for others in any more specific beliefs or dogma other than pretty much as has been said so far by the posts in this thread.

Joseph

Thank you for taking the time to comment Joseph!

Dear Group,

As a former conservative evangelical I struggle with the definition of being a Christian. I would welcome any thoughts on how others define being a Christian.

Sincerely

Jay

I think that we live in a time in the world when religion can be defined by the individual on a level never before imagined. No longer is the Christian stuck within the narrowly defined parameters of one of the "major" denominations. True religious experience transcends these artificial barriers.

I celebrate your liberation!

Personally, I define Christianity within the language of my ancestral Jewish heritage (too complex to go into detail for this thread).

I think that Jesus embraced an intellectual and humanistic version of Judaism that eschewed the religiosity of his day. I think that Jesus was a disciple of the Jewish reformer, Hillel. I embrace the teachings of Jesus in this light.

However, unlike Jesus, I am non-theistic.

NORM

Norm,

Your response comes at a good time, for me at least. My own feelings and intuitions continue to direct me along a path that seems very similar. I cannot explain why. But, there it is. It took me some time to accept "there it is" as "real".

Myron