Evangelical Heretic

GeorgeW

This week on the NPR radio show "This American Life," there is a rerun of a program aired several years ago about the fall from grace of a prominent evangelical preacher - but not for the usual reasons (I won't spoil the plot for those who would like to listen to it - but the thread title is a hint).

I remember hearing this when it first aired and found it a worthwhile re-listen.

Here is a link: http://www.thisameri...de/304/heretics

George

George,

Thanks for the link. I've not listened to the complete hour yet, but am working on it.

Some past reading quoted statistics of "Fallen Pastors." The numbers were startling. The number of seminary drop outs also were startling. Recently, I came across a story of a fallen pastor writing a book to support himself (forgot the name). What I took from the book review was there are many pastors who, for whatever reason, would leave the ministry if only they could support themselves. From this author's experience I was led to believe a support group was formed to help fallen pastors. One such is here.

Ron

Ron,

I am glad you finished it. It is a powerful story that many can identify with but on another level. It is one thing just to lose friends, but to lose one's livelihood and status as well must be a most difficult experience. But, he showed the courage of his convictions.

The scene at the gay church in San Francisco was particularly moving. And, I loved the section where he and his wife were casting the devil out of each other. The guy has a good sense of humor and a lot charisma.

George

a good listen, thanks. it was interesting to me that although he seems to have shed his belief in biblical inerrancy, he still has a lot of the old evangelical-type traits, for example, the belief that God has given him this message to share with the world.