Scary Things

minsocal

Given the events of today in Connecticut, I thought I would offer this from the hosts of this message board.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.” - Mr. Rogers (Rev. Fred Rogers) (via Kissing Fish: christianity for people who don't like christianity)"

My mother told me this when I was about eight or nine years old. It has stayed with me all these years.

Thanks for adding this, Myron.

I was having breakfast when I heard the news, and resolved to try to avoid watching news programs while eating in future. 'Looking for the helpers' is a good way of coping with such tragedies.

By the way, 'Kissing Fish' is a title that attracted me, I'm going to look that up too.