Greetings

David_F

Good Day

Been lurking around this site for a while now, but recently registered and thought it respectful to place an introduction. I stand in awe of many of your insights, and hope to learn much in my visits here.

I was introduced to Bishops Spongs writings when he visited our church in Parkview, Johannesburg, South Africa a few years back and was bowled over by his "Sins of the Scriptures", rocked by his Jesus for the Non Religeous, and now lost in his "Eternal Life: A New Vision." So much of his writing resonates so clearly to my concerns, and my journey from literalist belief to disbelief.

Bishops Spongs books are extremely difficult to read, hard to accept one has to pack ones "cherished" beliefs away as they no longer fit the world we live in. I have been challenged and yet thankful to find one is not alone in ones thinking, yet I don't see what the "new christianity" is that he proposes.

I am now settled in Vancouver, BC, work as a geological consultant, coming from a statistical/scientific background.

A difficult post...

I look forward to learing more.

Regards

David

Edited by David_F
  • Upvote 1

Hi David,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would not worry over much about "seeing" whatever new version of Christianity is on the horizon. As I understand it, it is more a case of being than seeing; as the Divine is not so much that which "knows", as that which is. Living - as much as we are able - in the freedom of that which is, the future and its shape will take care of itself.

Anyway, again welcome.

Derek

...yet I don't see what the "new christianity" is that he proposes.

...A difficult post...

David, welcome. I identify with the quoted comments. Bishop Spong's earlier writings captured me. His explaining scriptures and how they have been usurped by fundamentalists resonated with me. However, when he wrote of a new Christianity, I was lost.

The second phrase "A difficult post." Is that meant physically or metaphorically?

I very seldom post, mostly lurk, but recently posted on the Book Forum and saw your greeting. Appears your journey is much like others here. You are with a good group.

Ron

Edited by Vridar

Hi,

Thanks for the warm response.

Derek, My use of "seeing" might be incorrect, I just don't get where he is going.. So you're probably right, its no longer the destination, its the journey that needs focus.

Ron, good to hear your response. As for difficult, well, I guess its a bit of both, actually putting down in writing that one rejects what once gave comfort is rather final and personally as a fairly private person, putting oneself out in public is not easy.

Strange, my work life revolves around evaluating uncertainty and making recomendations often in the absence of data, now having rejected the "perceived knowns of Christianity", I need to embrace uncertainty in life.

David

Strange, my work life revolves around evaluating uncertainty and making recomendations often in the absence of data, now having rejected the "perceived knowns of Christianity", I need to embrace uncertainty in life.

David,

I think that the need for certainty is one of the underlying factors that motivate fundamentalist religion. The expression 'The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it' expresses this point of view. No need for determining context, no ambiguous meaning, no fuzzy interpretation, no room for translation issues, no contradictions, etc.

George

putting oneself out in public is not easy.

David, Again I can identify more than you'll ever know. Firstly, you're not out in "public." Here you are among friends who can help you have a soft landing. The "knowns" are the problems. There are none. There is only the journey and each has his own. My journey was coming off the hard road of knowns to the soft road of knowing no one knows (damn, I hope that doesn't sound like SoD Rumsfelt).

Welcome to a place of soft landings. Most here have been where you are and I would guess most are happy for finally getting here. Rule-there is no one fit for all. Each should practice only what will help others. I've noticed even Richard Dawkins is mellowing. :rolleyes:

Ron