Introduction

Jay

Hello, I am new to the forum, Progressive Christianity and Bishop Spong. Like so many others here I come from a fundamentalist, evangelical background. I fled that path many years ago. While I've never doubted my decision to leave I've never found a comfort level discussing it. I recently heard Bishop Spong on a local radio program and was fascinated. Bishop Spong's was discussing a spirituality I could participate in. I've just started reading Eternal Life: A New Vision. I look forward to listening and learning.

Jay

Edited by Jay
  • Upvote 2

Welcome Jay,

Glad you were finally able to complete registration and chime in. Make yourself at home and feel free to develop and express your thoughts and beliefs as you share here while maintaining respect for the right of others to differ.

Joseph

Welcome to the community! :D

I am very new here myself, but I'm excited to see new people find their way here through Bishop Spong as I did. I second Alamar's recommendation of Bishop Spong's book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." It's probably my favorite, followed closely by "Jesus for the Non-Religious."

I think that there are many, many of us all over the globe. It's just that people don't know that "Progressive Christianity" even exists. It's really difficult without owning any physical locations. We are everywhere in all congregations. I just wish that we were more organized. I personally like the idea of meeting in someone's home to share bread and wine like the early Christians did. That's kind of how I view us today. Many of us still attend our local Christian church (as the early Christians still attended the synagogue on the Sabbath). But our thinking has gone beyond the traditional doctrines. Hopefully an organic movement can start to blossom; A movement that is focused on living like Jesus and is not dependent on the power structures of an institutional Church.

Edited by Wisdom_Bodhisattva