Cnn Article On Obama's Faith

Stanley

Just thought this was an interesting article and others my enjoy it. It talks about progressive Christianity quite a bit.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/21/to-some-obama-is-the-wrong-kind-of-christian/?hpt=hp_c2

It is strange to me that conservative Christians would flock to a Mormon over a progressive Christian. A good example is Billy Graham removing all the content on his website about Mormonism being a cult and then endorsing Romney.

thanks, i loved reading that. i loved obama's quip to the evangelist 'this is God's house.' touche!

it was interesting to read the history of fundamentalism, one can only hope that an interest in Obama's faith will lead to a rise in a progressive kind of christianity.

jonny

I loved this MLK quote referenced in the article:

“any religion that professes to be concerned about the souls of men and is not concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them …is a spiritually moribund religion awaiting burial.”

Excellent column. It's good to be reminded of the contrast between emphasis on personal salvation vs the social gospel.

Also I like the way Obama describes his agnostic (or ecumenical?) mother as being “the most spiritually awakened person he’d ever known.”

There's a new play I've read about, being performed in Charlottesville and other cities-- “Stanley Ann: the unlikely story of Barack Obama’s mother” (her first name comes from her father? not sure). The one-woman show by Michael Kindle reveals how she had to grow as a human and an American-- an idealistic college girl from Kansas who learned how to live in Hawaii, Seattle, Indonesia, and New York. She was ahead of her time in many ways - two interracial marriages, a single mother working in different cultures, standing by her choices with integrity. The play sounds personal rather than partisan, but clearly her expansive vision and courage set an example for her son.

Edited by rivanna