Hello From Canada

Alamar

I am a new member but an old one too. I am 80 years old and I grew up in the United Church of Canada. I attended Sunday School every Sunday morning and church with my family every evening.I always asked question and sometimes I got an answer that satisfied me but often the answer was to laugh at me and my questions. For instance when I heard at Xmas the readings "they came with haste and found Mary and Joseph and the Babe lying in a manger" I asked what haste meant and was told hurry . That was fine but when I asked how the three of them could fit in a manger like my grandfather's. They laughed but that's what it said in the old King James Bible. I learned that most people laughed at my questions,so I tried to figure things out on my own. I joined the church at about 13 still with questions unanswered.When I left home for nurses training I went to many different denominations as whoever was not on duty gathered and we took turns at each person's church. I went to the Baptist church and saw a big hot tub in the sanctuary where several people in white gowns were actually ducked under the water by the minister. I asked my friend why and she didn't know. We attended a Roman Catholic church and only the priest got to drink the communion wine.and where my friend went to confession. I asked why confess to a priest why not cut out the middle man and go straight to God. My friend got mad at me. We went to an Anglican Church and I tripped over the kneeling boards and they said the same prayers every week. I went with some people from home for supper and they took us to great hall for a rally. The minister chanted "bow your head and close your eyes" over and over again and then asked us to go down to the front and be saved. I held tightly to my friends hand because I was afraid I would get up and go. So I have checked out most denominations. As an adult attending bible class I discovered that out of the 5or6 who came we had at least 3 different Bibles and when we read from each one it led us to a different meaning. Which was right and when I discovered how long after Jesus death the words were written I didn't know what to think! Continued on another day. Thanks for listening to my Faith Journey. Alamar

• Upvote 1

Second part from Alamar---I did find my way when we got a new minister who introduced me to John Shelby Spong's books. I have read most of them but I also met him at a workshop at Calling Lakes Center in Saskatchewan and most of my questions were answered. God gave us a brain and expected us to use it and I am now a dedicated Progressive Christian.. I have some trouble with prayer but Greta Vosper helped that. But recently our different minister asked me to talk to the communicants class about the history of the United Church Of Canada and our own church. This I did and then he asked if I could tell them a little about my Faith Journey. I did and then he laughed and said that most ministers already knew this. My question is why do they not preach this to their congregation. I still go to church---I live in a small town but I feel sometimes that I cannot respond to the prayers we have in the bulletin They offend me and make me feel like a hypocrite so I have stopped repeating them. I have given up all the jobs I have done for years only keeping the rep for The United Church Observer monthly magazine. The only thing that gives me hope we are changing is at the General Council meeting this summer the church elected as its Moderator an openly Gay minister.We are moving in the right direction but at a snails pace. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Alamar

Welcome Alamar. I see your a fellow Nurse and your also good at asking questions. :lol: . I think you will fit in well.

A friend of mine once said that most church sermons were like a steers horns. A couple of forceful points and whole lot of bull in between. I think you have noticed that too. Welcome to the forum friend. :D