Eternal Life: A New Vision (Spong)

Raven

I started reading this yesterday, as my chuch's book group will be studying this book starting in two weeks. (Haven't decided about attending the book group, but might as well prepare!)

So far it's quite good, though I'm not sure I agree with everything he's saying - I've decided that, at this point, that's not important. What is important is that it's making my brain work and getting me to consider different sides of things.

Has anyone else read this?

I read it about a year ago. I found his honesty refreshing in that of course he has no idea what happens after death, if anything, none of us really do. I like Spong's stuff so it was an easy read for me, and I don't really have any doctrine I adhere to (other than I'm anti-fundy doctrine) so there wasn't anything threatening to me or my beliefs. All in all, I just found it a nice read with some interesting points (I particularly enjoyed him discussing and supporting a person's right to euthenasia).

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for your insights, Paul. I haven't found anything offensive in it at this point, just things that I'm not sure I agree with - mainly his ideas about being accidental creatures....there's something about that idea that bothers me, though I haven't figured out exactly why, yet. I've just finished chapter 2, so I'm not that far into it yet. I find his writing style easy to follow, and quite relaxed and friendly.