Greetings

Stanley

Hello everyone,

This looks like an interesting forum. I grew up in a Methodist church in Michigan and moved to Texas and married a woman whose dad is a Church of Christ minister. That was the first I have ever heard of the Church of Christ but have been going for 18 now and still don't get them. They are nice, loving people for the most part but I don't get the doctrine. That has caused me to do a lot of reading on my own and contemplating about the subject.

I look forward to reading and interacting here with others that may have the same questions or similar philosophies as me.

Thanks,

Will

• Upvote 1

Welcome Stanley,

The dogma or doctrine a person purports to believe certainly does not prevent them from being loving or 'nice' people. This forum in general believes as stated in Point 5 "The way we behave toward one another and toward other people is the fullest expression of what we believe " PC here puts more weight on behavior and respect for one another than any views one may have concerning doctrine or dogma. May this forum community be of mutual benefit and growth for us both.

Joseph

Paul,

Is the C of C in Australia the same as the US?

Joseph,

I just looked over the PC's eight points. Sounds like a great platform for growth. I emailed the link a friend and he was thrilled to see a group thinking in this direction. I have been reading over many of the topics and like what I am reading. I am excited to find a place to question things.

Will (sorry I didn't notice your proper name before),

I remember the piano and organ were regulars in service, and occasionally, just occasionally, there'd be guest or two with guitars (but only at the Evening service), so perhaps I was part of a rebel CoC movement!

No problem with the name. I probably should have thought about it a minute or two more and went with WillH or something like that. J I was looking for an option to change it but don’t see one.

Musical instruments in America was the split between the Church of Christ and the Christian Church. My father-in-law was a Church of Christ minister but, at one point, when changing preaching gigs the only thing that came up was a Christian Church position. They were really torn as to whether to take it. Exact same theology but they had pianos, guitars, drums, etc. When they took it they actually had CofC friends tell them the love them but can no longer associate with them.

The funny thing is, what I like most about the CofC is the absents of instruments. They are beautiful singers. Any church I have been to with instruments it seems singing is just something you stand up and do during part of the service and people mumble along to the piano. My wife is an awesome singer and I love hearing her sing.

Hi Will, Welcome to the forum.

I am not familiar with the "Church of Christ" but I found a link that presents some of the articles of faith. http://www.churchofchrist-tl.org/basicBeliefs.html

That is a large list of beliefs (IMO).

Here you can just be who you are and believe what you trly believe. So pull up a chair and join in and feel very welcome. :D

Pete

Thanks for the welcome Pete (and everyone else). I was looking at your link and got to number 23

:”We believe a temple will be built in this generation, in Independence, Missouri, wherein Christ will reveal himself”

and thought, "What the heck is that!" I had never heard them mention anything like that. Ends up the Church of Christ in your link is a LDS branch (wikipage). This is the one I was referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

One thing I don't want to do is bash the church. Please let me know if I come across too critical. Certain structures work for different people to grow, expand, learn to love better, etc. The CofC doesn't do that for me but may for others. But this church is pretty accepting of me and I don't hide what I believe, but try not to be too antagonistic.

Certain structures work for different people to grow, expand, learn to love better, etc. The CofC doesn't do that for me but may for others. But this church is pretty accepting of me and I don't hide what I believe, but try not to be too antagonistic.

I agree completely with your approach. I think we should recognize that religion should not be a one-size-fits-all proposition. As long as someone's beliefs are benign, I don't think we have grounds to object. We may disagree, but should not object (unless, of course, we possess knowledge of the objective truth :))

However, some of the fundamentalist beliefs (I know nothing about The CofC) are not so benign - racism, sexism, militarism, homophobia, etc. I don't think these should be tolerated.

George

I am similar George, I respect religious freedom of one's choosing so long as one respects freedom of choice for others too. I respect that a person has the right to be respected for their faith as long as that faith respects others.

Edited by Pete