Hello Everyone

AnnieG

Hello, AnnieG here.

I’m excited about finding this site! I grew up attending a Presbyterian church in New Zealand which, more by chance than my parents’ choice, was fundamentalist in outlook. I lasted there until shortly after starting university. By that time it felt wrong to be listening and saying /singing things I no longer believed in.

Still, I felt I had lost something deep by withdrawing from that church. I became interested in historical sacred music and found the writings of progressive Christians /post-Christians helpful. I tried attending more liberal churches many years later, but it wasn’t easy to take my very young children along.

Now I’m living in South Korea and I haven’t found a church community where I can feel at home. I do read progressive Christian writing online, but have been wishing for a more interactive format. I think community building is a big part of spiritual life. So here I am!

Edited by AnnieG
  • Upvote 1

Hello AnnieG,

I'm just across the way from your home country, in Western Australia. I similarly grew up fundy until about 18 when I simply could no longer 'believe'. I went a different path for the next 20 years or so and had nothing to do with what I left behind. Only in the last few years did I learn about Progressive Christianity and I have found this forum both immensely comforting and educational. I hope it offers you what you seek.

I look forward to your participation.

Cheers

Paul

Annie you are being guided. I lived in South Korea for 11 years and my wife is Korea, but do not know of any progressive church. Enjoy the culture Christian and Buddhist. They make a good marriage.

Thanks for the welcomes. I originally came to South Korea to experience living in another culture, and maybe to make sure I would leave home:) My ties with the country are deeper than I anticipated, as I married a Korean citizen after living here for two years. Yes Soma, coming from a historically Christian country it is interesting being somewhere where another religion (Buddhism) is also prominent. I particularly like the way Buddhist temples harmonize with the environment, through the architecture and often through location in the mountains.

Welcome AnnieG to a diverse PC forum where all views receive a level of mutual respect without coercion or need to be, agree, or believe like the other. it seems many here find much commonalty in religions and Buddhism is certainly no exception. Sometimes different ways of seeing things bring a more profound understanding of that which we may already possess or claim as our own religion. May your participation and sharing be of mutual benefit.

Joseph