Is It Possible For An Atheist To Be A Christian?

NORM

Romansh,

PC's are free agents to retain or discard any self-label.

That we might think PCs are free agents is OK in the trivial sense of the word free. Of course in the absolute sense of free as in free will, this claim is bit more of a stretch. I have seen a free will thread knocking about.

You ask why PC's would choose to hold the Christian label in light of the definition of others such as you mentioned and because they are open to other religious tradition teachings? One could just as well ask Why not? Or one could apply that same logic to any sect or denomination of any religion that departs from another s dogma, doctrine or definition for the sake of curiosity .

Well it seems reasonable to me, to ask what are the reasons (or causes) for a person to follow a progressive Christianity.

I think the 8 points in general provide some insight to the reasons. Many here consider themselves as followers of Jesus, known as the Christ, and found their approach to God through some of his reported teachings. Perhaps they feel they have as much a right to the label as any. To some it is not that important but irregardless i don't think that is the topic of this thread.

Joseph

Joseph - do you think reasons (or causes) for an atheistically minded person to follow or label themselves as Progressive Christisans is irrelevant to the question:

Edited by romansh

Pete,

Selecting the best case to debate with a conservative is not a criterion that I would adopt in deciding the likely truth of biblical texts.. I would prefer to go with the preponderance of evidence and let the chips fall where the may.

Also, in my experience, attempting to disabuse others of their beliefs is not very productive. An old friend I saw this weekend has been trying this for years with a number of people including several conservative pastors. To my knowledge he has neither 'converted' anyone nor planted any serious doubt.

George

It depends on who I am speaking to. It is among conservatives that argue people not accepting their view of the bible are not Christians. If I speak to a conservative then the presentation of contradictions are there for the seeing. Whilst someone having a theory that Paul did not write all in 1 Corinthians is not so apparent to demonstrate. If I am discussing among liberal minded folk such as yourself then I can entertain the theory that Paul may of not wrote all of 1 Corinthians even if it is a theory and other theologians may disagree.

The topic is about whether an athiest can be a Christian and for some the conservative definition is often being used which says they cannot be according to their understanding of things from a traditional Paulian persuation and such arguements could be could equally applied to me too. I am sure there are many conservatives and I have met a few who would argue that liberals and Progressives are not really Christians because they do not accept Paulian scripts. For me the traditional Paul is not a figure I can agree with or allow to define my Christianity. Did he write all that he is credited with is another debate (IMO) and on another topic I may be more accepting of your view. The traditional view of Paul exists and it is not up for theory and it is that traditional view I as a liberal and Atheists are mostly confronted by.

I think the real question at hand is why did the early followers of Jesus felt like they needed to label themselves to begin with.

I wish they had not but once a thing becomes an organisation it aquires a name in my experience. I understand the original group was just called the "new way" and I believe the group was diverse. Once organised religion gets to dictate things then labels start to be used as to those groups who agree and those who do not.

I would be happy just being a Jesus follower but in modern times people would only understand that as a Christian.

Edited by Pete
  • Upvote 1

Joseph - do you think reasons (or causes) for an atheistically minded person to follow or label themselves as Progressive Christisans is irrelevant to the question:

Not at all.

It should be clear no one here is trying to sell anything including labels as members are just sharing their opinion/view on the OP question. i think 105 replies have in general answered the question posed in the OP but if others still have relevant related comments on the OP that is fine. Your original question i quoted was specific .....

If the majority(?) Progressive Christians do not believe literally that Jesus was the son of God and was literally ressurected, and PCs are willing to explore actively alternative religious traditions, then why retain the Christian label?

This should be addressed as a separate thread if you are interested in specifically why those PC's that fit those beliefs included in your question choose to retain that label. Other threads such as "what does Progressive Christianity mean to you" already exist and may answer your question but you are free and are being encouraged to start a more specific thread with your curiosity question posed if you want others to answer., This would be more in line with our keeping subject matter organized and on topic here.

JosephM(as Moderator)