Early Mormon History

halinsalem

I think the word "cult" has some negative connotations to most people as a result of some super extreme religious organizations such as Jim Jones group, Heavens gate , the Branch Davidians, etc. . It has a number of different definitions in the dictionary that i believe could be applied to call most any Christian denomination or other religion a cult.. It is a most relative term with as i said negative connotations from historical events and i would personally choose to not use it to label another's religion including Mormons even though there are Mormons who admit they are a cult but by the same definitions they use that most other groups also fit.

Joseph

I guess I am more curious than anything else. The LDS leaders obviously have some long-range plans. Why else would they put 52,000 "missionaries" on the streets of the U.S.? Also, they educate their middle-school aged children at 6:30 AM in the church fundamentals before these youth attend public school. They absolutely insist on tithing. They strongly recommend that each family maintain a year's supply of 'emergency' foodstuffs, batteries, and like items. They are secretive about policies. The 'upper' echelons of the organization do not share long range policies with the 'lower' echelons. This organization is very different from the ordinary WASP or Catholic church.

I think the word "cult" has some negative connotations to most people as a result of some super extreme religious organizations such as Jim Jones group, Heavens gate , the Branch Davidians, etc. . It has a number of different definitions in the dictionary that i believe could be applied to call most any Christian denomination or other religion a cult.. It is a most relative term with as i said negative connotations from historical events and i would personally choose to not use it to label another's religion including Mormons even though there are Mormons who admit they are a cult but by the same definitions they use that most other groups also fit.

Joseph, I agree that it has negative connotations and that is why I used it in "quotes." I was sarcastically referring to some of the Fundy pastors (I don't recall names) who have described it as a "cult."

George