Lent, Anyone?

Lolly

How easy it is to denounce structural injustice, institutionalized violence, social sin! And it is true, this sin is everywhere, but where are the roots of this social sin? In the heart of every human being. Present-day society is a sort of anonymous world in which no one is willing to admit guilt, and everyone is responsible. We are all sinners, and we have all contributed to this massive crime and violence in our country. Salvation begins with the human person, with human dignity, with saving every person from sin. And in Lent this is God’s call: Be converted!- Oscar Romero (in THE VIOLENCE OF LOVE)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/news/viewnews.php?newsId=941

Lent Devotional--Week 5: Addressing Genocide

Brent Salsgiver, a UM student at Wesley Seminary, Freeing slaves in Sudan

Old Testament Scripture: Micah 6:8

New Testament Scripture: John 11:1-45

United Methodist Social Principles: The World Community, The Social Community, The Political Community

2004 United Methodist Book of Resolutions - #183, “Expressing Grief for Acts of Violence”

...violence exists in many nations…where “ethnic cleansing,” deportations, tyrannical rulers, religious intolerance, war, and civil unrest scar the lives of millions and have resulted in despicable acts of murder and genocide...

One UNHCR staffer recalls her experiences during the Rwandan genocide:

...Two of the village survivors opened the door of a local church for me to see. The floor was literally carpeted in bodies. My mind tried but failed to make sense of the scene. I collapsed to my knees. My Rwandan companions looked at me and said nothing. Both of them had lost their entire families in the genocide.

Of course, the dead in the church had run there expecting sanctuary. Instead this. It was easier for the "interhamwe," the militia who slayed hundreds of thousands of persons over a mere 100 days in Rwanda, to do it this way. Easier with everyone in the same place. Now, it's ten years later.

Now I’m trying to make sense of Darfur, Sudan. There are 1.2 million people who have fled the conflict there, some getting across the border into Chad. An estimated 50,000 are already dead. Between 300,000 and 1,000,000 deaths may still be ahead.

People who know a great deal about international law are arguing right now about what to call it. I believe we must do something now, or risk losing a piece of our own humanity.

Walking Humbly with God...

Read John 11:1-45 and prayerfully reflect on the following discussion and questions:

Martha was understandably frustrated when she said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” Christ responded by resurrecting Lazarus. Today, we might ask where are the people who can prevent needless deaths of thousands of civilians? As followers of Jesus, we must realize that although we may not be able to resurrect those who are pointlessly murdered, each of us can and must respond before more people die.

John Wesley, the founder of Methodism in the 18th century, was not daunted by forces of slavery in his day. He used a variety of tactics ranging from writing a small book where he challenged the practices of slavery. He graphically described their capture, branding and sale well as their passage where “thirty thousand die, that is, properly, are murdered.” He made alliances with people who were challenging the system. He organized a fast each Friday so that “God would remember those poor outcasts.”

“Unholy Alliances”, by Bill Wylie-Kellerman, Christian Social Action

Genocide is overwhelming for most of us, yet, like Martha we know that Jesus will listen to our deepest cries. What do we feel when we contemplate such intense suffering of others? What do you do to protect yourself from the discomfort of knowing? When you do see and not act and what is it that prevents you from acting? Who are the people in the Bible who followed God’s call in the most impossible situations? What have you learned from them about what God requires of you?

and Loving Mercy...

"War is not good by brother. Stop fighting."

Written on a drawing by a former child soldier in Sierra Leone

"We must push for the United States and the governments of the world to refer the situation in Darfur to the International Criminal Court so that the court can start working on what the United Nations has already said are war crimes and crimes against humanity that have been and continue to be committed there.”

Liberato C. Bautista, Assistant General Secretary and Main Representative to the United Nations of the General Board of Church and Society , The United Methodist Church

Action: Pray:

For courage and strength to confront the moral and ethical challenges arising from both passivity as well as passionate concern for the crisis in Darfur.

for an end to the killing and displacement of people in Darfur.

that those who have decision-making power will bring justice to this region.

for those grieving the loss of their loved ones, their homes, their livelihood, and their dignity.

Learn more about Darfur atrocities: Christian Social Action magazine article, Human Rights Watch: "Backgrounder", New Atrocities as Security Council Dithers

Invite several friends to see the movie, "Hotel Rwanda" and invite them back to your home to discuss the movie over dessert.

Donate money to organizations, e.g. Church World Service, working to alleviate the immediate suffering of displaced people.

and Doing Justice

...Only the pursuit of a just peace, which includes the search for truth and justice for victims, will bring about forgiveness, reconciliation, and healing in many rural villages, towns, cities, nations, and regions of the world that are scarred by conflict and war.

The establishment of an International Criminal Court (ICC)… provides an important step in ending impunity. This court will hear cases against war crimes, genocide, crimes against humanity, and crimes of aggression. Faith-based and religious groups, working together with the Coalition for an International Criminal Court (CICC), identified several moral and ethical imperatives and included these in a draft preamble they offered the Rome Conference to consider. The draft stated:

"Desirous that the quest for justice includes retributive justice whose purpose is the prosecution and punishment of offenders while insuring the rights of the accused to fair trials, restorative justice whose purpose is that of reparation, restitution and rehabilitation for the victims, and redemptive justice which must be seen as the enablement of communities to deal with the truths of the past in ways which will allow and enable social reconstruction and reconciliation, and the ending of cycles of violence;"

"Recognizing that adjudication of crimes of international concerns that have transcended national boundaries are often beyond the scope of national criminal justice systems, and that crimes whose immediate victims have occurred within national contexts are often beyond the competence or ability of national judicial systems; Noting the basic principles of justice for victims of crime and the abuse of power approved by the United Nations General Assembly; therefore, establish the International Criminal Court . . ."

2004 United Methodist Book of Resolutions, p. 779-780

Action:

Sudan, Rwanda and Sierra Leone are highly indebted developing countries whose economic interests are not our own. The ravages of war complicate their efforts to provide food, shelter, education and medicine. Contact your government reps to advocate for the Millennium Development Goals & for debt cancellation for highly indebted countries of the South.

Learn more about U.S. support for referring the Sudanese individuals charged with war crimes in Darfur, to International Criminal Court, go to: Program on International Policy Attitudes: Sudan. Contact your government leaders and urge them to support referral of the Darfur cases to the International Criminal Court.

“All efforts of the United Nations, the Africa Union, the United States, and the international community must be encouraged, especially toward disarming the Janjaweed militia and other armed outlaw groups and toward setting up the infrastructure for sustainable economic recovery and restoration of Darfur and all the Sudan.” (Board of Directors, GBCS, October 17, 2004)

Bro Rog:

Your extensive comments on the lenten scene,led me to reread the content of this discussion carefully again.

While I have no problems with concentrating on current disfunctions around the world, and find your concerns well thought out and worthy of discussion and pursuit as you suggest, I couldn't help but note that all the Biblical references you used have one thing in common: Their historicity is largely denied by the Westar Institute's "Jesus Seminar".

In the book "The Acts of Jesus" (Harper/Collins,1998) they conclude that the Passion Story, historically, amounts to this:

1)There was a person named Jesus who was executed by the authorities during the Prefecture of Pontius Pilate(26-36C.E.)

2)The Disciples fled when Jesus was arrested.

3)The assertion that the Romans were innocent of Jesus' death and the Jews responsible is pure Christian propaganda.

4)The underlying structure of the Passion Story was suggested by prophetic scriptures taken from the Greek Bible(The Septuagint).(Pgs.132-3)

The Holy Qu'ran goes even further and denies the crucifixion of Jesus categorically. See Surah 4 (The Women) Verse 157:"They did not slay him, and neither did they crucify him."

IMO,Your discussion of current problems stands on it's own and prompts us to worthy action without the Biblical base.

Jeep

I saw an interesting program on "Who killed Jesus" on the Discovery channel (which is now motorcycles R Us :-( ) Anyway the review of all the evidence, was it the Romans (well they definitely had a hand-- it was a Roman style murder, as the Jews did not crucify, etc.), did the Jewish authorites do it (not the Jews as a group-- but they did have a part in it, bringing in charges, etc.). It went thru all the various players (including mob actions, etc.) but ended up that Jesus really had a big hand in it himself. Not that he committed suicide but he set up a very dramatic entry into Jerusalem during Passover (on a donkey no less), stuck around and stuck around (he could easily have left the scene, set up practice elsewhere), etc. He also clearly knew his fate and kept to it anyway. BTW, it had an interesting possible take on Judas. That he was acting as an agent, and that he may not have betrayed Jesus in the typical sense. I can't recall that whole thing, but maybe someone else knows it.

Jeep, I think the idea of Biblical base depends on how one reads the Bible. If one is interested in a purely literalist view then of course everything happened as stated end of case. (Of course I know you don't take that view).

There is the historical/metaphorical (thanks Borg) view. We could definitely have no problem with the idea that the Romans were to some extent guilty. I think a line that really says tons is "[Pilate] washed his hands of it". Does washing his hands keep the stain of blood off them? Why wouldn't he say "Pharisees, it's your problem. Go take him and try him as a heretic. He's not a Roman criminal". But he doesn't do that. He goes ahead with the execution but says he washes his hands of it. It would be like saying "I don't agree with the death penalty, pulling the lever, and saying well I really didn't believe in it."

(BTW, there are some who feel the raising of Lazarus was a misreading or reinterpretation of the parable about Lazarus).

As far as the disciples scattering. At least one of them did not, Mary Magdelene. So you may have some of the text saying the disciples all scattered, but then you have them all saying Mary M. was around. Maybe she wasn't one of the 12, but she was pretty influential anyway.

And she was most certainly a disciple.

I actually can't comment on BroR's Biblical text. As I've been sort of overwhelmed by it.

To be honest. Scrolling text is not my forte, even though I seem to like to make other people scroll. :-) But I think any no. of verses would indicate that humans have fallen short in care for their fellow humans. So you don't have to take the Bible completely out of it, even if you don't agree with the various interpretations of said verses.

--des

Edited by des

1. Jeep, Since this is a Christian bulletin board/discussion forum, I feel that it is very comfortable, relevant, and appropriate to mention and cite from the Bible.

Indeed, one could discuss various social problems from a secular or humanist perspective, but why would one expect to do this on a Christian forum?

This said, I take the Bible seriously, not literally.

2. Des, LOL, I can take a hint. Here's another Lenten related article, but I'll let the reader click on the link if they wish to explore it! ; )

Date: 2005-02-09

Fasting Also Needed in Politics, Says Jerusalem Patriarch

Michel Sabbah Invites Authorities to Purify Their Intentions

JERUSALEM, FEB. 9, 2005 (Zenit.org).- At the start of Lent, the Latin patriarch of Jerusalem has invited "those who hold power" to fast, in order to "purify their intentions and their individual or national egoisms." ....

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.ph...phtml?sid=66129

Jeep, okay, to make it clear, re: your words from your previous post:

I couldn't help but note that all the Biblical references you used have one thing in common: Their historicity is largely denied by the Westar Institute's "Jesus Seminar".--------

IMO, their "historicty" (real or otherwise) is not what gives weight, meaning, or authority to Biblical texts.

des:

Sorry I missed the Discovery channel presentation. From what you report of it,the point I was trying to make about the Bible as a base for current commentary was clearly in evidence. Like Bro Rog I also take the Bible seriously.The Bible is the basis of Western civilization, it's one of the"Great Books of the Western World". Adler did not republish it as one of the "Great Books" because it was so widely available everywhere.However he clearly acknowledged it's status in his Syntopicon and as a source of the 102 "Great Ideas" he is noted for today.

But time marches on and for me the Bible is "Dated" and not the best source for research into current issues. I am finding, for example, contemporary sources, such as "A Course in Miracles" much more enlightening.

Your comments about the present status of Mary Magdalin make my point exactly.The scholarship of Karen King has contributed immeasurably to Progressive Christianity IMO, as has Elaine Pagels and John Shelby Spong and Marcus Borg: The list goes on.

Jeep

1. To make it clear, those "Biblical posts" that people are referring to in this thread weren't written by me, but rather, they are cut and pastes from emails I receive from the General Board of Church & Society of the United Methodist Church. I've provided weblinks for each of these.

2. But in the spirit of brevity, here's another helpful reading re: Lent (Palm Sunday)

Dr. Marcus J. Borg

Two Processions Entered Jerusalem-

Which Procession Are We In?

http://www.calvaryjc.org/homiliesLent/20050307.html

Oh gosh, BroR, I wasn't knocking your posts! But as I say, I just have other people scroll. I don't scroll. I figured you were quoting from the UMC materials fo some sort.

Occassionally I do wade in and they are very interesting/worthwhile.

Jeep, I do still think the Bible is applicable, but not as a literal/factual account of any type.

The meaning of many many passages shines thru though the actual factual material remains suspect. A very good example would be the nativity, and how ti is all blending into one tale, where much of it is in Luke but some bits from other Gospels. Yet there is truth to the various Gospel myths. I love that Borg goes into great detail about the truth of myth!!!!!!

--des

Bro Rog:

I printed out Marcus Borg's Lenten Sermon and found it interesting, but somewhat strange, since the two processions are largely invented reality. At least, there is little historical evidence either occured. My own take on the sermon was a bit different. Both processions if they had occured would have been processions of human beings, creations of God, making very different decisions as to the will of God. The world is will and representation, and the presentations invented here have vital symbolisms to ponder as to where reality rests.

The Lenten reflections I am involved in these weeks would have me conclude that the symbolism is demonstrative of the nature of who we really are.God is as incapable of creating something perishable as the ego is of making something eternal.

As to your view of "historicity" and Bible truth I appreciate your skepticism. It would be helpful if you would elaborate on the validity you see which is contained in a book now several millenial years old. As President Reagan would say:"Trust, but verify".

Jeep

As to your view of "historicity" and Bible truth I appreciate your skepticism. It would be helpful if you would elaborate on the validity you see which is contained in a book now several millenial years old. As President Reagan would say:"Trust, but verify".

I think the Heart of Christianity does that better than I could or could ever hope to.

YIKES quoting Ronnie. :-)

--des

I think the Heart of Christianity does that better than I could or could ever hope to.

YIKES quoting Ronnie. :-)

--des

Des: Marcus Borg did a great job with "The Heart of Christianity", I just want to go even further than "Faithing" Borg's term, to trusting in God. You know, like on our paper currency.

To All:

The Lenten Lesson from "A Course in Miracles" in my distance education group this week is:Lesson 34:"Peace of mind is clearly an internal matter.It must begin with your own thoughts and then extend outward.It is from your peace of mind that a peaceful perception of the World arises."(1:2-4)

We are impuned to accept "a better way" of looking at the World.

Peace

Jeep

A Lenten devotional for week 6 from the United Methodist Church's General Board of Church & Society:

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/news/viewnews.php?newsId=952

Lent Devotional--Week Six: Caring for the Garden

New Testament Scripture: Matthew 21:1-11

United Methodist Social Principles: The Natural World

All creation is the Lord’s and we are responsible for the ways in which we use and abuse it. Water, air, soil, minerals, energy, resources, plants, animal life and space are to be valued and conserved because they are God’s creation and not solely because they are useful to human beings.

Read Matthew 21:1-11 and prayerfully reflect on the following discussion and questions:

Confronted with the massive crisis of the deterioration of God’s creation and faced with the question of the ultimate survival of life, we ask God’s forgiveness for our participation in this destruction of God’s creation. We have misused God’s good creation. We have confused God s call for us to be faithful stewards of creation with a license to use all of creation as we see it.--2004 United Methodist Book of Resolutions, p. 84

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors. We are borrowing it from our children.--Native American Proverb

Jesus entered Jerusalem humbly, riding a donkey. Jesus could have chosen to use his power to take control, yet he chose the way of radical love. In his mission to create a new order he allowed the Roman Empire to kill him rather than use his power to destroy others. Christ’s new order calls us to share power and sacrifice by honoring all that is around us: our neighbors and our environment.

When you give thanks and praise for God’s earthly resources, are you honoring those gifts or using them excessively for self-satisfaction, personal gain or comfort? What does it mean to be a faithful steward of creation? How is that different from using destructive power over the earth? Name ways that you both honor the earth and misuse the earth’s resources on a daily basis. As you ask God’s forgiveness for the misuse, what changes will you need to make in order to follow Jesus’ example of a new order?

If you do nothing, what will you tell your children and grandchildren?

And Loving Mercy...

(Shishmaref, Alaska, USA)-- Thousands of years ago, nomads chased caribou here across a now-lost land connection from Siberia, 100 miles away. Scientists believe those nomads became the first Americans. Now their descendants are about to become global warming refugees. The village is being swallowed by the sea…Recently, four homes tumbled into the sea while villagers huddled in the Lutheran church.(See Global Warming Forces Inuits to Abandon Swamped Homes)

Steps To Take:

Learn more about The United Methodist Church positions related to: our natural world, including clean air and climate justice: The Natural World

Global Warming Fact Sheet: Climate Basics

If you have a sister congregation in another country that has signed the Kyoto Protocol and/or is being impacted by global climate change (Click here to find out), stand in solidarity with them and write letters from your church asking for forgiveness for the U.S.’s unwillingness to accept our responsibility. Make a pledge for personal, congregational and community action to address the global climate crisis

How much do you consume? Find out how many resources are required to support your standard of living: Ecological Footprint Exercise

Conserve energy (individually and as a community of faith):

Turn off lights.

Use Compact fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFBs) that last up to 10 times as long as incandescent bulbs and will keep half a ton of CO2 out of the air. Read More.

Evaluate your need for air conditioning.

Investigate using “green energy” such as wind or solar power.

-Go to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Check the Interfaith Power and Light link.

Consider using a fuel-efficient car or choose an alternative method of transportation – public transit, biking, or walking. Fewer miles behind the wheel equals less CO2 in the atmosphere.

And doing Justice:

Those who are most affected by pollution are least able to respond: The industrial nations are practicing a new kind of colonialism with the stratosphere and we have to put a stop to that.--Stefan Edman, The Cry of Creation

The UM Book of Resolutions specifically calls on the U.S. to:

move beyond its dependence on high carbon fossil fuels that produce emissions leading to climate change,

ratify the Kyoto protocol under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (p. 82)

...And, The UM Book of Resolutions calls on all nations to:

support measures calling for the reduction of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide, which contribute to acid rain and global climate change (p. 86)...

Steps To Take:

Urge your Congressional representatives and the President to address the real threat of global warming now. Visit UM-Power to contact your elected leaders.

Ask Congress to support S. 139, the bipartisan Climate Stewardship Act introduced by Senators Lieberman and McCain. Click here for a sample letter.

Prepare for your church to participate in the Festival of God's Creation on April 24. Talk to your pastor and put it on the church calendar. These resources highlight a number of ways individuals and congregations can celebrate and protect this integral part of Gods creation.

A Lenten devotional for week 6 from the United Methodist Church's General Board of Church & Society:

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/news/viewnews.php?newsId=952

Lent Devotional--Week Six: Caring for the Garden

New Testament Scripture: Matthew 21:1-11

United Methodist Social Principles: The Natural World

All creation is the Lord’s and we are responsible for the ways in which we use and abuse it. Water, air, soil, minerals, energy, resources, plants, animal life and space are to be valued and conserved because they are God’s creation and not solely because they are useful to human beings.

Read Matthew 21:1-11 and prayerfully reflect on the following discussion and questions:

Confronted with the massive crisis of the deterioration of God’s creation and faced with the question of the ultimate survival of life, we ask God’s forgiveness for our participation in this destruction of God’s creation. We have misused God’s good creation. We have confused God s call for us to be faithful stewards of creation with a license to use all of creation as we see it.--2004 United Methodist Book of Resolutions, p. 84

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors. We are borrowing it from our children.--Native American Proverb

Jesus entered Jerusalem humbly, riding a donkey. Jesus could have chosen to use his power to take control, yet he chose the way of radical love. In his mission to create a new order he allowed the Roman Empire to kill him rather than use his power to destroy others. Christ’s new order calls us to share power and sacrifice by honoring all that is around us: our neighbors and our environment.

When you give thanks and praise for God’s earthly resources, are you honoring those gifts or using them excessively for self-satisfaction, personal gain or comfort? What does it mean to be a faithful steward of creation? How is that different from using destructive power over the earth? Name ways that you both honor the earth and misuse the earth’s resources on a daily basis. As you ask God’s forgiveness for the misuse, what changes will you need to make in order to follow Jesus’ example of a new order?

If you do nothing, what will you tell your children and grandchildren?

And Loving Mercy...

(Shishmaref, Alaska, USA)-- Thousands of years ago, nomads chased caribou here across a now-lost land connection from Siberia, 100 miles away. Scientists believe those nomads became the first Americans. Now their descendants are about to become global warming refugees. The village is being swallowed by the sea…Recently, four homes tumbled into the sea while villagers huddled in the Lutheran church.(See Global Warming Forces Inuits to Abandon Swamped Homes)

Steps To Take:

Learn more about The United Methodist Church positions related to: our natural world, including clean air and climate justice: The Natural World

Global Warming Fact Sheet: Climate Basics

If you have a sister congregation in another country that has signed the Kyoto Protocol and/or is being impacted by global climate change (Click here to find out), stand in solidarity with them and write letters from your church asking for forgiveness for the U.S.’s unwillingness to accept our responsibility. Make a pledge for personal, congregational and community action to address the global climate crisis

How much do you consume? Find out how many resources are required to support your standard of living: Ecological Footprint Exercise

Conserve energy (individually and as a community of faith):

Turn off lights.

Use Compact fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFBs) that last up to 10 times as long as incandescent bulbs and will keep half a ton of CO2 out of the air. Read More.

Evaluate your need for air conditioning.

Investigate using “green energy” such as wind or solar power.

-Go to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

Check the Interfaith Power and Light link.

Consider using a fuel-efficient car or choose an alternative method of transportation – public transit, biking, or walking. Fewer miles behind the wheel equals less CO2 in the atmosphere.

And doing Justice:

Those who are most affected by pollution are least able to respond: The industrial nations are practicing a new kind of colonialism with the stratosphere and we have to put a stop to that.--Stefan Edman, The Cry of Creation

The UM Book of Resolutions specifically calls on the U.S. to:

move beyond its dependence on high carbon fossil fuels that produce emissions leading to climate change,

ratify the Kyoto protocol under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (p. 82)

...And, The UM Book of Resolutions calls on all nations to:

support measures calling for the reduction of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide, which contribute to acid rain and global climate change (p. 86)...

Steps To Take:

Urge your Congressional representatives and the President to address the real threat of global warming now. Visit UM-Power to contact your elected leaders.

Ask Congress to support S. 139, the bipartisan Climate Stewardship Act introduced by Senators Lieberman and McCain. Click here for a sample letter.

Prepare for your church to participate in the Festival of God's Creation on April 24. Talk to your pastor and put it on the church calendar. These resources highlight a number of ways individuals and congregations can celebrate and protect this integral part of Gods creation.

Bro Rog:

The account of Jesus's entry into Jerusalem is based on Zechariah 9:9 and Psalm 118:26. The story was conceived to fit the prophesies. Similarly, the words ascribed to Jesus are the invention of the storyteller.... As a consequence the Fellows of the Jesus Seminar designated the words of Jesus as black.

From "The Five Gospels"(Harper-Collins,1993)

Jeep

Jeep, thanks for sharing, but regardless of their origins, I work with the Scriptures as they are. There is much Divine Truth, wisdom, insight, inspiration, and instruction in those passages - even the ones that the Jesus Seminar has deemed as "black."

Edited by BrotherRog

BTW, I wonder how the members of the Jesus Seminar would rank the writings in "The Course on Miracles"... ;  )

Bro Rog:

I believe the Jesus Seminar is interested in the Historicity of the Christian Bible, but I will attempt to find out if they will be looking into it. I have asked Bishop Spong the very question you pose but have not received an answer.

It would be easy to test it's historicity however. The circumstances of scribing the voice of a resurrected Jesus occured over an extended period in the middle years of the last century and are fully documented in Kenneth Wapnick's published document,"Absence from Felicity",( Foundation for a Course in Miracles, 1999).I have read it, and take it's assertions seriously, just as I do those in the Bible.

Jeep

TO ALL:

The lesson from A Course in Miracles for this week of Lent, as I experienced it by audiotape from Anaheim, California:

Lesson 47:"God is the strength in which I trust"."God is your safety in every circumstance. His Voice speaks for Him in all situations, and in evey aspect of all situations, telling you exactly what to do to call upon His strength and His protection. There are no exceptions because God has no exceptions. And the Voice which speaks for Him thinks as He does".(3:1-4)

Jeep

Anyone else doing anything for lent?

For the past few years now, I've actually given up shopping for Lent. Not like groceries and stuff, but books, CDs, clothes, etc.: things that are unnecessary, but that I find myself buying all the time and take for granted that I can.

Fred, Bravo! Indeed, consumerism is a major addiction that many Westerners find themselves bound by. A most approriate thing to ponder and seek to lessen during the Lenten season.

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/issues/issues.php?...r=y&auid=774937

Holy Week: Sustenance for the Journey: Seven Devotions for the Seven Days

During this Passion Week as you recall the suffering of Christ, you will be reminded of your need to fortify yourself to respond to the challenges of faithful discipleship. We share not only in Christ’s persecution and suffering on the cross but also in the suffering he identifies with--that of the persecuted and the oppressed in our world. The Holy Spirit empowers us but we must cooperate and be intentional in how we respond to God’s call. Walking humbly – being guided by God - means that mercy and justice will follow: (click on link at top to see complete resources for the following days):

Monday: Community

Tuesday: Obedience

Wednesday: Repentence and Reconciliation

Thursday: Stay Awake and Pray

Friday: Discipleship

Saturday: Stewardship

Easter Sunday: Sabbath

Living the Fullness: What does the Lord require of you?

Scripture:

Micah 6:8b "... and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Matthew 23:23-24 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!”

Introduction:

In the season of Lent, as we both do penance and look to the coming resurrection, we have an opportunity to reevaluate and discern God's prompting in our lives. John Wesley stressed both personal and social holiness. He not only focused on works of charity but also works of justice. Lent can be a time for us to examine and readjust how we live out our faith. How often do we live our lives as if Micah and Jesus said “or”? What would it mean to live fully into the “and”? The scripture challenges us to integrate personal spiritual disciplines, acts of charity and acts of justice. The United Methodist General Board of Church and Society is offering a weekly Lenten Devotional Calendar that gives ways to address all three aspects of Christian discipleship, balancing personal piety (walking humbly with God), and loving kindness (doing acts of charity) and doing acts of justice. We invite you join God in a quiet time each day to reflect on, strengthen and live into your faith.

Prayer:

Holy Creator,

We thank you for your love and graciousness. We thank you foryour power and compassion.

Open our hearts and minds so that we can know you better and see the world through your eyes.

Help us to see Christ in all we meet, especially the invisible ones without power and whose voices are ignored.

Forgive us for false acts of piety. Forgive us for feeling satisfied that our acts of mercy are sufficient.

Forgive us when our passion for justice clouds the very Source of all that is just, loving and good.

Through your Holy Spirit empower us to walk humbly with you, to love kindness and to do justice.

In Christ's name we pray, Amen.

Week One

Ash Wednesday - The Federal Budget as a Moral Document

(The United States Federal Budget was chosen as a topic of focus because of its implications for our global community.)

Week Two

Lifting the AIDS Crisis for prayer and action

Week Three

Create a Well, Not a Wall in Iraq

Week Four

Just Immigration Reform

Week Five

Addressing Genocide

Week Six

Caring for the Garden

http://www.umc-gbcs.org/issues/issues.php?...r=y&auid=774937

Holy Week: Sustenance for the Journey: Seven Devotions for the Seven Days

During this Passion Week as you recall the suffering of Christ, you will be reminded of your need to fortify yourself to respond to the challenges of faithful discipleship. We share not only in Christ’s persecution and suffering on the cross but also in the suffering he identifies with--that of the persecuted and the oppressed in our world. The Holy Spirit empowers us but we must cooperate and be intentional in how we respond to God’s call. Walking humbly – being guided by God - means that mercy and justice will follow: (click on link at top to see complete resources for the following days):

Monday: Community

Tuesday: Obedience

Wednesday: Repentence and Reconciliation

Thursday: Stay Awake and Pray

Friday: Discipleship

Saturday: Stewardship

Easter Sunday: Sabbath

Living the Fullness: What does the Lord require of you?

Scripture:

Micah 6:8b "... and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Matthew 23:23-24 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!”

Introduction:

In the season of Lent, as we both do penance and look to the coming resurrection, we have an opportunity to reevaluate and discern God's prompting in our lives. John Wesley stressed both personal and social holiness. He not only focused on works of charity but also works of justice. Lent can be a time for us to examine and readjust how we live out our faith. How often do we live our lives as if Micah and Jesus said “or”? What would it mean to live fully into the “and”? The scripture challenges us to integrate personal spiritual disciplines, acts of charity and acts of justice. The United Methodist General Board of Church and Society is offering a weekly Lenten Devotional Calendar that gives ways to address all three aspects of Christian discipleship, balancing personal piety (walking humbly with God), and loving kindness (doing acts of charity) and doing acts of justice. We invite you join God in a quiet time each day to reflect on, strengthen and live into your faith.

Prayer:

Holy Creator,

We thank you for your love and graciousness. We thank you foryour power and compassion.

Open our hearts and minds so that we can know you better and see the world through your eyes.

Help us to see Christ in all we meet, especially the invisible ones without power and whose voices are ignored.

Forgive us for false acts of piety. Forgive us for feeling satisfied that our acts of mercy are sufficient.

Forgive us when our passion for justice clouds the very Source of all that is just, loving and good.

Through your Holy Spirit empower us to walk humbly with you, to love kindness and to do justice.

In Christ's name we pray, Amen.

Week One

Ash Wednesday - The Federal Budget as a Moral Document

(The United States Federal Budget was chosen as a topic of focus because of its implications for our global community.)

Week Two

Lifting the AIDS Crisis for prayer and action

Week Three

Create a Well, Not a Wall in Iraq

Week Four

Just Immigration Reform

Week Five

Addressing Genocide

Week Six

Caring for the Garden

Bro Rog:

F.Y.I."Matt.23:23", which is derived from Q, is probably not alien to the sentiments of Jesus but it also expresses a common prophetic criticism, like the one stated in Mic.6:8.Matthew and Luke each modify the wording in the direction of their own interests so that it is difficult to determine the Q version. It is also a bit surprising that the tithing of herbs is not itself criticised:this oversight seems unlike Jesus. Black is the appropriate color.

"Matt 23:24",involves the grotestly humorous contrast characteristic of other genuine sayings of Jesus...Further,the address is more general...But the level of invective caused the majority(of the Fellows) to label the saying Grey or Black. (The Five Gospels, Macmillan,1993.Pgs 242-243)

Jeep