Pauli Exclusion Principle

Inthedark

I apologise up front for not being an expert in a topic which I introduce for discussion, but that is one of the main reasons for doing so. I recently watched Professor Brian Cox deliver a talk on TV (via the internet of course) about quantum physics and the make up of everything - matter and energy.

One of the things he talked about was the Pauli Exclusion Principle which if I am to put into simple language means that any electron cannot occupy the same quantum field as any other electron; he simplifies this in the talk by describing quantum fields as energy levels.

A consequence of this well proven principle is that whenever a change in energy level is brought about which changes the state of one of these electrons in its energy level, such as heating it up, then every single electron in the entire universe must change slightly to allow this change to occur. In other words, everything is truly connected to everything else at the atomic level.

This to me was quite profound and it started to sound like Theology, where science and religion seem to be, dare I say it, converging?

Here is a shortened version of the talk which solely pertains to the Pauli Exclusion Principle but you'll find the full length show at the side somewhere, the long one is about 58 minutes. The short clip below is 1 minute and 42 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Edited by Inthedark

A consequence of this well proven principle is that whenever a change in energy level is brought about which changes the state of one of these electrons in its energy level, such as heating it up, then every single electron in the entire universe must change slightly to allow this change to occur. In other words, everything is truly connected to everything else at the atomic level.

I believe every entity is related externally and internally. But from what I read, the Pauli exclusion applies only within an atom.

Dutch

I can't speak specifically about the Pauli Principal, but I am a big fan of quantum mechanics. I'm no expert for sure, but it fascinates me. The more I learn about the quantum world, the deeper my faith becomes. I, too, believe wholeheartedly that everything is connected to everything else. I don't think religion and science necessarily converge, but I do think science deepens that sense of awe and wonder. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks for replying Dutch and Yvonne. I have just ordered a book by O'Murchu called Quantum Theology based on seeing this talk from Professor Cox. His day job is at the Large Hadron Collider so you would hope that he knows what he is talking about. Of course Dutch might be quite correct, I could have misunderstood Mr Cox, but he seemed to me to be saying every electron in the universe is connected and must behave according to the Pauli Principle, which meant as a consequence that if there is a change in state in one electron in a quantum field, then every other electron in the universe in a quantum field must adjust slightly, meaning that everything is connected to everything quite literally. I hope to learn a little more now my book has arrived. If I do I'll let you know.

Paul