A "godless" 8 Points

BillM

We know that it is your personal opinion, why do you have to say it over and over and over and over? Do we have to agree you before you stop repeating yourself? Do we have to say that yours is the only correct view before you stop?

No, Dutch, I'll stop.

My point is based more on history and the present time. My argument is based upon the history of UU and the present realities as symbolized by Lawton and Joseph. We can all hope for a better future.

When I first encountered TCPC, it was struggling with issues of identity. At that time, the 8 Points seemed to say more about what Progressive Christianity was "not" rather than what it "is". Any effort to achieve an identity in difficult times can be arduous, and it might be appropriate to step back and appreciate the efforts of those involved in the process.

Myron

Well I have not been active but I don’t understand this response to Bill. Dutch were you not the one that just posted the unqualified welcome with no expectations?

Joesph clearly indicates a mission for this website if not the sponsors of this website that tends towards the UU so Bill’s observation is right on.

David,

You are correct that you have not been active so it is not expected that you should understand the response to Bill. I believe he understands what was said.

Secondly, Joseph as administrator has not indicated any such mission for this website that you have indicated except by your assumptions and in your opinion from his comments as a member. The mission for this site is stated in both the News section and on our main site at ProgressiveChristianity.org.

You have stated your personal views and interpretations and made them clear and they are here for all to view and decide for themselves. You continue to repeat yourself and i see no need to continue to repeat what has been said. Your points have been well made as your have had ample opportunity and taken the liberty to clarify yourself with more posts than any other member in this thread..

JosephM (as Admin/ Moderator)

Edited by JosephM

I had to think for a while to understand why Joseph the moderator was responding. It may be because my post may be read as saying that Joseph the moderator is seen by me as following the Lawton path. Let me correct any misunderstanding. I do not think that Joseph in his official position has given any indication of a mission that is contrary to the positions of the sponsors of this website. Joseph the moderator is correct that my responses are in response to posts from Joseph the member and hopefully Joseph the member can respond or not respond as he feels is appropriate. I hope that clears up any confusion.

I have no problem with what participants believe. We have a mix of Fundamentalists of Christian and atheist stripes and everything in between - an throw in Buddhist Christian or just plain Buddhist, materialists, dualists, panexperientialists, the curious, etc. I have no problem with any of them.

I have a problem with participants who say over and over and over and over that they don't like it. It's tiring.I have to wonder why someone would keep coming back to such unpleasant surroundings.

Dutch

in my opinion, the "new Christianity" that he offers has lost the transcendant [sic] so that what remains isn't much more than humanism. Then again, that may well be the direction that PC goes, taking a more and more UU bent. Who is to say?

Bill, you would absolutely HATE Judaism! Human empowerment is the dynamic that drives most Jewish congregations I know. Also, some of the most respected people I know are Unitarian Universalists.

I agree with you, Bill.

The ultimate direction progressiveness leads is toward love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - the very definition of humanism.

If that upsets you, I kind of feel sorry for you. I would not kick you out of my pub, but I probably wouldn't pick you to help with my social studies project.

NORM