Sam Harris: In Defense Of Profiling

Here's a list of murders of abortion doctors: http://www.prochoice...nce/murders.asp Here's a list of all the abortion clinic bombings: http://www.prochoice...ence/arsons.asp In comparision, how many successful Muslim-led terrorist bombings have occured on U.S. soil since 9/11?

I think it would be naive to only compare terrorist crime that occurs on US soil when considering threat from jihadist muslims. Bombings are occurring on a daily basis, with dozens of people being killed at a time, in countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. I'm pretty confident that given the opportunity, these type of people would gladly target the US and/or its citizens.

Yes there was one bombing of an abortion clinic during the 2000s decade. However I don't see the statistics being presented as a sensible case for profiling all white Christian males in America. I do see the threat from jihadist muslims as being worthy of a higher level of awareness.

I do not agree with harrassment of muslims simply because they are muslims, and I would still say that Harris doesn't seem to be suggesting this either.

Even outside the radical anti-abortion movement, there are plenty of other crimes committed by radical Christian movements where the domintant threat is by white male Christians such as violent militia movements like the Hutaree who were found guilty of plotting murder at innocent police officers, the Tea Party who sent violent death threats to politicians after Obama's health care reform was passed, and homophobic Christians who murder gay people just because they're disgusted by their sexuality. It was a Christian fundamentalist and not a Muslim who walked into a Unitarian Universalist church and opened fire on the members while they were worshiping because of his hatred towards gays and liberals. Whether Muslims kill more people overseas or not, the point remains that radical Christian terrorists murder far more Americans than radical Muslims do and speaking as someone who loves Christianity and Christians, I don't think we can ignore that radical Christian terrorism is currently the greatest threat to our freedoms and security in America. I also highly recommend that you read the book American Taliban: How War, Sex, Sin, And Power Bind Jihadists And The Radical Right by Markos Moulitsas.

Edited by Neon Genesis